Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Rebuild and Bearing Replacement

When I got my 03 YZ250, I loved everything about the bike except for the suspension. I wasn't going to bother getting any suspension work done because my KTM is my main ride, but I finally had enough of the jelly feel and bottoming out all the time (and I'm not a big air rider - it was bottoming just about everywhere).

I had the forks and shock rebuilt by a local pro - new seals, fluids, bushings, bumpstops, tubes polished, and revalving (springs were good for my weight). It feels like a new bike now! Traction problems and a loose back end that couldn't stay straight are now gone. I now see the benefits of a properly configured suspension. I have much more control over the bike now, and it was definitely a good investment.

I also replaced my steering stem bearings, and what a nightmare that job turned out to be. I battled with removing the lower bearing from the steering stem for over three hours. Nothing seemed to work. I finally got it free by cutting part of the bearing with a dremel, freezing the stem/lower triple, and heating the bearing at the base of the stem.

My list of "don't do it yourself - take it to a shop" work just grew:

1) Fork and Shock Rebuilds

2) Bottom end, transmission work, case splitting

3)Steering stem bearing replacement

Its not that I can't do that work, it just takes too long especially without the right tools and a clean workbench.

Yes, suspension makes a HUGE difference in a bike. Reagrdless of the year of the bike, properly set-up suspension for your weight and riding style should be your first investment. :banana:

The only thing I have not done on my bike is rebuilt the shock. But the forks are easy... so is everything else on your "list."

Not to be a dick, I'm just speaking about myself. Working on bikes in general is pretty easy if you take your time, read the manual (RTFM! :banana:), and pay attention to detail. :lol:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new ride bro! :banana:

Yes, suspension makes a HUGE difference in a bike. Reagrdless of the year of the bike, properly set-up suspension for your weight and riding style should be your first investment. :banana:

The only thing I have not done on my bike is rebuilt the shock. But the forks are easy... so is everything else on your "list."

Not to be a dick, I'm just speaking about myself. Working on bikes in general is pretty easy if you take your time, read the manual (RTFM! :banana:), and pay attention to detail. :lol:

I've always heard people say "proper suspension is the best investment in your bike" and brushed it off thinking what I had was "good enough." If it wasn't bottoming everywhere I probably would have left it alone until the forks started leaking, but I'm very happy now.

My KTM 450 suspension is bone stock now, which works very well for my weight and style of riding.

I know working on bikes (or anything for that matter) is easy - it's the 'time' thing I have issues with. Being an engineer I sometimes obsess with details, and it takes too much time - time I could spend riding! :banana:

I had the suspension done at Kessler Pro Suspension (KPS), run by Mickey Kessler a former national racer. There isn't much about him online, but you see the KPS logo on forks everywhere here, and everyone has good things to say about his work.