Sign in to follow this  

Cant get the oil drain bolt off

Was this a problem for anyone else? besides the fact that allen wrenches suck, ive had the hardest time getting mine off. I bought it used and im assuming the previous owner didnt tighten it too tight...I cant get the damn thing off. What can i do? Spray it with some dw40

Get the correct size allen socket then use air to break it loose. If you get it out throw it away and buy a Brap plug with a normal bolt head on it, best 10$ you'll ever spend. Check the allen closely and see if someone has already rounded it out trying to get it off. If it's sloppy try putting lapping compound on the end of the allen socket before you hit it with the air wrench as this will tighten the hole up and give it a better bite.http://http://red450.smugmug.com/Other/KTM-250-XCFW/1455024_B2GvV#111521613_dZ9YT-L-LB

that is in the owners book on my KTM. You need to hit it with a hammer to get it to "release" its thread tension. Then remove with the advice here.

If you are having trouble removing your drain plug start your bike and let it warm up before you try and remove it.

Warming your bike up expands the case and makes it a ton easier to remove your plug.

you can try tapping it with a mallet.

befoe using the allen wrench to loosen it.

There’s a Spray its Call PB Blaster it’s a Lubricant you just spray on the bolt you can get it at an Auto parts store, and the Drain Plug is not an Allan, it’s a 12mm. I think you’re confused with the Short oil screen. And the short oil screen is not an Allan it’s a star Socket.

431378.jpg&w=75&h=211&page=

He shouldn't need PB Blaster; like everyone else above said: warm the bike up, tap it with a rubber mallet, and it should come right out.

Of course! (I would hope warming the bike up before changing the oil . . . goes without saying!) But, if all else fails, PB Blaster is the best stuff I have ever used.

Edited by mdkktm250