Sign in to follow this  

Helmets

I'm looking for a helmet for my 6 year old and would rather get one on the low price side via the internet or ebay... I have yet to take her into a shop to try some on since our closest is over 1 hour away, but wondering if a XS adult works and fits the same as a youth L/XL? The sizing for XS/S are very close, if not right on with the youth sizing.

take the time ,make the drive, spend the money. Its your kids head.

no, do not get adult helmets for kids.

they make youth helmets that are made specific for their small necks that are lighter and specific for youth.

why risk your kids safety for saving a couple bucks. there are a lot of places that have youth helmets on sale for $50+

shop around, measure you kids head and most manufacturers list their sizing on their websites.

It kills me to see that parents go all out on their kids bikes, but skimp on the safety gear. at the minimum a good helmet, neck roll, gloves, and boots. come out of pocket for the chest protector, elbow, knee/shim guards, mx pants. its your kid, the safety equipment should come before the bike.

And don't buy one off craigslist. At the very least, helmets conform to the rider's head over time, it's doubtful your kid's head is the exact same shape as the prior kid's head.

At the very most, helmets should be replaced when wrecked or dropped, even if they look good. Do you really trust someone selling a helmet that it was never wrecked or dropped? Especially a kid's helmet?

Spend the $50-80 on a good, proper fitting helmet for your kid.

try places like www.motosport.com

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/8/34/CDEPT/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Helmets-Kids-Riding-Gear-Closeouts.aspx

If i did not already spend a couple grand on my boy this month for his racing, i would buy him this helmet.....love the graphics.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/8/34/6959/CITEM/Scorpion-Youth-VX-9-Patriot-Helmet-Closeouts.aspx

dont eat out for lunch a few days next week and save the money so that you can protect your offspring.

try places like www.motosport.com

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/8/34/CDEPT/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Helmets-Kids-Riding-Gear-Closeouts.aspx

If i did not already spend a couple grand on my boy this month for his racing, i would buy him this helmet.....love the graphics.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/8/34/6959/CITEM/Scorpion-Youth-VX-9-Patriot-Helmet-Closeouts.aspx

dont eat out for lunch a few days next week and save the money so that you can protect your offspring.

Ha, don't eat lunch anyhow... I looked at most of the internet sites but no good sales, cept for the adult XS/S, why I had the question. I'll get her sized up at the shop and go from there... if they have a good deal I'll bite, but at least I'll have her sizing and then snag a youth off motosport/DK/etc...

Usually the youth stuff is cheapo but guess since spring is coming all that stuff is reg. olde pricing. I did get her some Thor boots off ebay for $35 shipped which helps.

• Like 1

FWIW and not to go against the advice of those above, but to answer your question.... my son's youth XL is bigger than my adult XS. It's probably closer to an adult S. Probably also varies by manufacturer.

didnt mean to sound short , just hear that all the time . People spend to go faster but dont upgrade the gear. Check out www.foundation529.org John's a gret guy and can probably help you out quit a bit with sizing or any questions.

didnt mean to sound short , just hear that all the time . People spend to go faster but dont upgrade the gear. Check out www.foundation529.org John's a gret guy and can probably help you out quit a bit with sizing or any questions.

Ha, this bike is not going fast anytime soon ha... but ya safety is my 1st concern. I just like deals.

Ha, don't eat lunch anyhow... I looked at most of the internet sites but no good sales, cept for the adult XS/S, why I had the question. I'll get her sized up at the shop and go from there... if they have a good deal I'll bite, but at least I'll have her sizing and then snag a youth off motosport/DK/etc...

Usually the youth stuff is cheapo but guess since spring is coming all that stuff is reg. olde pricing. I did get her some Thor boots off ebay for $35 shipped which helps.

some equipment we buy used, but helmets, and gloves we buy new. everything else you can get used and save a ton of money.

some equipment we buy used, but helmets, and gloves we buy new. everything else you can get used and save a ton of money.

I wasn't gonna buy used for the helmet and boots, I figure whatever she doesn't tear up will go to the second kid so I'll get double use out out it. I just like to find and get deals.

Used kiddie boots are a great deal, watch your local craigslist and buy the next size up from what your kid is wearing so he has the next set waiting for him. I think I paid $40 for my daughter's boots, retail is $110? they had almost no wear at all.