Sign in to follow this  

Rut Problems

Last week i did a practice lap for a hare scramble. it rained the day before and i kept getting sucked into ruts and it usually took 3 or 4 people to pull my bike out. Does anybody have any advice to get through a rut? Thank You

I hear ya on those damn ruts! I went riding today and kept either getting stuck or kept washing out, it was really frustrating.

I had the same problem this past Sunday at a harescramble. I was doing good, I was in 6th when I went thru the chute, passed two more people in my class. I came upon a a real muddy rutty creek type crossing, So I pin it my back tire gets caght in the rut, then I just sank...I was so mad I wanted to cry..It took around 35 min to get me unstuck, about 12 people have paased me before I could get out.By the time I got my WR out, I was so freaking tired I just wanted to get to the finish line.Needless to say I went from 4th to 16th..:banana::banghead: Is there any special tecnique? or do you just deal with what you can do?

my advice in dealing with deep super-slop mud is this. Once you realize that your momentum is slowing and you arent going to make it thru, that is when its time to stop. Its much easier to muscle your bike out of a 6" deep rut with mud rather than bury it to the swingarm and really sticking the bike. Ive seen people sit there and just bury themselves and it takes forever to get out.

I had the same problem this past Sunday at a harescramble. I was doing good, I was in 6th when I went thru the chute, passed two more people in my class. I came upon a a real muddy rutty creek type crossing, So I pin it my back tire gets caght in the rut, then I just sank...I was so mad I wanted to cry..It took around 35 min to get me unstuck, about 12 people have paased me before I could get out.By the time I got my WR out, I was so freaking tired I just wanted to get to the finish line.Needless to say I went from 4th to 16th..:banana::banghead: Is there any special tecnique? or do you just deal with what you can do?

Hey where were you for your hare scramble?

My best advice: Don't get in a rut :banana:

Bang! Dead on...ride looking ahead so you can see where you are going. The more exhausted you get, the more you look at the front fender. The more you look at the front fender, the more ruts you end up following into, the more ruts, the more stuck, the more stuck, the more tired....and so on and on and on! Usually the "rut develops to the undesirable side of an obstacle anyway, although sometimes unavoidable, sometimes avoidable and a faster line.