Sign in to follow this  

can you "knobbyknife" your front tire?

I've been riding a few trails recently... more than usual at least... and have been noticing that my front tire loves to wash out on fast turns, and even on berms when I come in a little hot it just jumps the top leaving me standing on the turn while my bike slides into homebase.:lol:

I'm looking for tips on how to improve my traction for hardpack dirt and grass. I'm familiar with cutting the knobs on my rear and I don't use the actual knobbyknife tool, but heat up a razor with a torch 'til it's red hot and go to town on the knobs. So, with that technique perfected I would like to know if it's effective on the front tire as well... but I don't know which edge to sharpen for the best results (leading edge of side knobs, inside edge of side knobs, outside edge of center knobs,etc.)

I think I've read something about drilling them in the middle? how well does that work? All tips are appreciated! thanks for the help.:banana:

I would think that knobby knifing the front tire is useless, unless the knobs are rounded off and theres still a little more knob.

Try raising your forks a little in the triple clamps as it helps improve handling and planting the front tire in corners.

thanks guys, the tips are always useful. boldigin, I actually can't raise my forks because I have aftermarket bar mounts that are shorter so my bars are right on top of the forks... I might be able to lower 2-3mm but that's 'bout it, and it doesn't seem like enough to make a significant difference. I should just get a new front tire... but that's so overrated.jk

thanks guys, the tips are always useful. boldigin, I actually can't raise my forks because I have aftermarket bar mounts that are shorter so my bars are right on top of the forks... I might be able to lower 2-3mm but that's 'bout it, and it doesn't seem like enough to make a significant difference. I should just get a new front tire... but that's so overrated.jk

I know what you mean. I try to get the most out of my tires too.

Actually, 2-3mm does make a difference because it will change the angle and put more weight on the front wheel. Try it and see if it helps. It's free...what do you have to lose?

good point... but currently it's not touching the bottom of my bars, and I think in a couple of mm, it will. but I will try it and see. maybe I can get it just close enough not to make contact, but still give me a little less rake.:banana:

good point... but currently it's not touching the bottom of my bars, and I think in a couple of mm, it will. but I will try it and see. maybe I can get it just close enough not to make contact, but still give me a little less rake.:banana:

Yeah might as well give it a go.

Tell us if you notice any difference too.

but heat up a razor with a torch 'til it's red hot and go to town on the knobs.

I heard even a knobbyknife takes a while... I imagine this way would take 4x longer, approx 2 hours per tire :banana:

actually, i had an extra pair of hands so the rear took 'bout 30 minutes and that was every drive knob(the ones down the center) and every transition knob(the ones on either side of the drive knobs). I sliced/melted straight down and he sliced the base. once we got a rhythm down, it went fairly quick.

actually, i had an extra pair of hands so the rear took 'bout 30 minutes and that was every drive knob(the ones down the center) and every transition knob(the ones on either side of the drive knobs). I sliced/melted straight down and he sliced the base. once we got a rhythm down, it went fairly quick.

oh ok, if you have a friend helping it def goes fast. I imagine having 2 blades also helps... he heats one as you qut 2 or 3 knobs before that first blade cools down, you trade and continue.. good idea.

Well, I had a sweet 4 day trail trip and after raising my forks just over a 1/4 inch... (or 6-7 mm for the intelligent folks running the metric system) which was more than I had anticipated getting out of it. It ran awesome and there was a noticable difference in most aspects of riding like hill climbs were much easier and no loop out worries. surprisingly wheelies were a lot more fun and I felt more control... running a 125 2s most of my wheelies would come up fairly harsh and Id let off early so as not to run-a-ground, but with the front end lowered I could give it all she had and cruise a good 3rd gear wheelie down the logging roads.

but yeah, Im glad I didn't cut the front knobs cause my cut rears were starting to chunk off after the 3rd and 4th days... no knobs up front would have been a disaster!! tire dist. here I come!