Sign in to follow this  

any vertically challenged wr 250 riders in here?

Well I posted a similar thread in the "what bike should I get" thread, but I have not got the responses I been looking for, although I have gotten several, I do appreciate those. As the thread states, looking for some vertically challenged riders.

I have been riding since 1976, just got back into the dirt bike scene last summer. I currently ride a 06 Honda CRF 150 F, love the bike looking for a little more.

I'm 5'3" 160 lbs, 47 years old, and would like to get a wr, but seat height is a serious issue ie: in seam issues. I have researched the Yamalink and the sag adjustment, shaving the seat. I have a great opportunity to purchase a 09 for $4900.00, yea I know hard to believe but it's true. Has anybody here around my height, weight done some of these mods with great success??

I'm not gonna drop 5 bills and spend more to have the suspension re-worked to fit the in seam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

here's my info about my Yamalink

http://plushpuppymx.blogspot.com/2010/02/yamalink-review.html

after having ridden on it and the shaved seat for almost two years now, I would say the only thing would be I would wait to shave the seat until after I put the link on and the sag and rode it a bit. I think I could do good now with half of what my seat is shaved(you can see in the pic in my link how shaved it is). Although when I'm up by the gas cap/attack postion I'm up on the original height of the seat(sorry that sounded so convoluted).

I am about 5'4.5", LOVE the link! also you are the right weight for the bike with it's stock springs, etc, so no need to change that :banana:

i am 5'7" and ive roda a biek with a lowering link... total shit ! wastes geometry, ground clearance and handling !!! cut the seat if you must but leave the geometry alone... if in doubt, buy a sherco 2.5i or a tm250 those are much smaller bikes and top racing bikes ! both go like stink and if i had the money, i'd have a new sherco ! small, 100kg and fuel injected ! :banana:

My ten cents worth.

The most elegant, practical solution according to a guy I spoke to who worked in the KTM suspension department in Austria is having a spacer put in your forks and shock and, if needed, shaving your seat. It just needs a professional to work out precisely what length the spacers should be to get your desired lowered height. And if you sell the bike, you can just remove them and you're back to standard.

According to him, the lowering link, tempting and easy as is to install, totally messes up what suspension designers spent countless hours perfecting. To correct this you'll have to spend big bucks on re-valving your suspension and putting in an stronger spring at the rear.

thats exactly right mate ! they put a sleeved alloy billet washer type of thing inside the actual shock which doesnt seem to affect geometry as much but i still wont do it ! ...my suspension is getting done as we speak by mick doohans ex honda racing mechanic but i will keep stock height as i do a lot of rocky/tree trails and need the clearance, sag and setup is more important than seat height ! .... i suppose for the folk that just putt along then the link is fine but folk that want to be faster and on or getting to to the limit wont even entertain a lowering link ! horses for courses...

2007-Yamaha-WR250Fb-small.jpg

Here is the stock 07 wr250f ^^^^^

Here is my bike with the link on, sag is 97mm(it could stand a little stiffer for the hi dez), forks are up 18mm in the triple clamp. I put the yellow pole on the seat to show how the back end is NOT saggy low and the bike is NOT choppery. I compared the fore aft-ness with our other not lowered bikes(yz250f, KTM 300 and 200) and it is the same line.

cp035.jpg

Here is a more straight on shot I just took(since the above photo is not quite straight on since I was standing up taking a pic of it), to show the distance between the back tire and the back fender is roughly the same as in the stock photo--I mean the angle of rear hub-link-end of pipe is the same(or ha "same enough")

004.jpg

yes I put the YL stickers on my bike cuz I think the product is pretty cool! :banana: