Sign in to follow this  

DR650 opinions plz....

Howdy, I'm a long time TTer and DRZ400 owner with a few questions for the experts in the DR forum.

I want to get into a little more "adventure" riding with road miles from home and some light dirt exploring on the side. I'll keep the DRZ for more dirt/off road riding, and I have SM wheels etc for it for fun. I've been reading and searching around about different bikes, and I'm wondering about the differences/advantages of the DR650 and the KLX650 for this type of use. I've read through some of the search threads on the topic, but want a little more opinion.

Educate me :banana: I'm thinking day rides from home mostly, with the possible jaunt over to Moab or Grand Junction. Also mostly 2 lane tarmac riding, not too much interstate type roads. I'm also considering V-Stroms and BMW GS's, but wonder if a DR isn't just the ticket?

Thanks!

Go for it, you'll love the no no-nonsence bike. A local bloke had a DRZ400 and sold it, got a DR650SE and thought he made a mistake cause its not a DRZ400, then he came to realize that its a no no-nonsence multipurpose DS bike. But ride one for more than 20 minutes on what you expect to be your type of routes and make a decision. Its a bluddy fun bike, I would know, I own one.

Howdy, I'm a long time TTer and DRZ400 owner with a few questions for the experts in the DR forum.

I want to get into a little more "adventure" riding with road miles from home and some light dirt exploring on the side. I'll keep the DRZ for more dirt/off road riding, and I have SM wheels etc for it for fun. I've been reading and searching around about different bikes, and I'm wondering about the differences/advantages of the DR650 and the KLX650 for this type of use. I've read through some of the search threads on the topic, but want a little more opinion.

Educate me :banana: I'm thinking day rides from home mostly, with the possible jaunt over to Moab or Grand Junction. Also mostly 2 lane tarmac riding, not too much interstate type roads. I'm also considering V-Stroms and BMW GS's, but wonder if a DR isn't just the ticket?

Thanks!

For day rides the DR is hard to beat. I have owned many XR's and a couple of XR650L's....I prefer the DR650. It is easier to ride, much better gearing for highway. The KLX650 is a good bike, but the KLR650 is just a waste of extra weight compared to the DR. The DR is very easy to modify for more ponies also. It's a great bike for an overnight trip to Ouray, CO or MOAB. I use a WR450 for serious single-trak and tight woods. I find myself riding the DR much more lately though. :lol:

Everything they said above. Plus, the DR has better brakes than the KLR, from everything I read and did read before buying.

Many folks really like the KLR, but for me, it's extra weight was enough for me to pass on it. Glad I did, love my DR. It's great in town, running around paved back roads, simple to work on, etc. It has no problem running on the freeway for short distances if you have to. A bit of wind but not that bad.

You could always try the DR and trade it off for something else if need be. I bet though that you get one and keep it, even if you move to another bike for your needs. The DR is THAT FUN!

To me, the KLR seems more like a touring bike, than a DS bike. The DR is already a big bike, and has some heft to it. The KLR is listed at being 66 lbs heavier than the DR, weighing in at 432 lbs.

I had a 2008 DL650 that I put over 18,000 miles on, it was a terrific bike. I also had a 2001 DR650, I found that unless I was on the interstate, I enjoyed(fun factor) riding the DR more, also, the DR will easily do interstate speeds, I just don't feel very comfortable doing them on the DR. So, I traded in my DL on a 2009 DR650. For me, it's a perfect fit. I can ride it long distances, hit the trails, and feel comfortable that it's going to perform the way I expect. I have friends that ride KLR's, and I was considering one, but it just didn't strike me as my bike. Good luck.

quote"

Educate me I'm thinking day rides from home mostly, with the possible jaunt over to Moab or Grand Junction. Also mostly 2 lane tarmac riding, not too much interstate type roads. I'm also considering V-Stroms and BMW GS's, but wonder if a DR isn't just the ticket?"

check ona thread over at advriders.com there is a ongoing argument about the 2 bikes, my advice is if you can try them both out how YOU will use it and make your choice, i was in the same boat last year, torn between the 2... chose a dr650, better brakes, oil/air cooled, simple to work on, better offroad, lighter, better looking (IMHO)

good luck

I don't think you will be dissapointed in the DR. However, since you have the DRZ, a touring bike like the DL may be a better fit. You will basically have a highway/streetbike that can manage some smooth dirt roads, etc. It is a hard decision to make and I feel for you. I just thought I would play devil's advocate for a minute to mix it up a bit. I have a DR650 and a DR350. Basically the same bike relationship triangle you would have if you got the DR. It works well for me. Since you stated that you would not really be on the interstate much, the DR is going to be exactly what you want and need. They are cheap to buy and maintain and crazy fun to ride. I am finished arguing with myself. Now go and test ride a DR.

So you are planning to fill out a two bike stable with another bike to compliment your DRZ400. The DR650 is very nice bike and superior to KLR650 in nearly every situation BUT you will have quite a lot of overlap in capabilities with DR and DRZ. With a more street-able adventure bike like either Vstrom or GS your opportunities for longer distance adventures are greatly expanded. The Wee is one of very best do nearly everything bikes available and would fit well alongside your DRZ400.

So you are planning to fill out a two bike stable with another bike to compliment your DRZ400. The DR650 is very nice bike and superior to KLR650 in nearly every situation BUT you will have quite a lot of overlap in capabilities with DR and DRZ. With a more street-able adventure bike like either Vstrom or GS your opportunities for longer distance adventures are greatly expanded. The Wee is one of very best do nearly everything bikes available and would fit well alongside your DRZ400.

Very true, lots of overlap with the DRZ400 and DR650. Aspencop129 mentioned day rides from home, so longer distance may not be an issue. I know the area well where he would be riding and the temptation to hit a Forest or BLM Road will be great. I would feel better on that DR vs a Vstrom for those conditions.

I was in an almost identical eposition about 6months ago between the 800gs and the dr. I had enough cash to go all out and buy a gs but still went with the dr. The one great thing about the dr is it is still a dirtbike. You can actually hit some tough single track with it and it is still, aside from ground clearance issues, reasonably controllable. The gs would be a bit of a bit** on even moderate double track..not to mention if you dump it. The gs also has a tiny tank and limited, expensive aftermarket parts.

I rode my dr hard right off the factory floor and decided on a few choice mods. The most important in my opinion is the new springs and tires.

The only downside of the dr, i guess this depends on how its set up, is the wind at higher speeds. Of course this can be solved with a windshield.

No matter what youre interested in doing there is a plethora of aftermarket parts to get you there comfortably.

hope you make the jump you wont be disappointed

Can't recall ever hearing or reading a post in a forum where a person bought a DR and then said they wished they had not.

I gave up a KTM 640 Adventure for the DR. For me, the KTM was TOO much of a dirt/race bike. I primarily commute on my DR these days. It sees the dirt - but I'm getting too old for serious dirt excursions.

As usual, it all depends on your plans and what you want it to do. If you expect a really good dirt bike that can also do well on the street - you will be disapointed. If your expectation is a so-so dirt bike and mid-weight street capable bike, the DR is better than the DRZ (had one of them too).

The good thing is once you get the DR and really find out what you want to do with it, it's easy (and not too expensive) to upgrade and farkle it to meet your needs.

the dr 650 is a bit more of a road bike , heading trail side of things .

i sold a bandit 1200 and got a second dr650.

i use one everyday and the other now run in leave an option to now change that bike .

one thing to consider is if you buy a new bike the fuel economy will be a lot less than one with 20000km on the clock.

I still haven't figured out why the KLR being water cooled doesn't make any more real power than the DR? All Kawasaki did was add more weight and complexity to a decent bike without any benefit.

...you will have quite a lot of overlap in capabilities with DR and DRZ. With a more street-able adventure bike like either Vstrom or GS your opportunities for longer distance adventures are greatly expanded. The Wee is one of very best do nearly everything bikes available and would fit well alongside your DRZ400.

Agreed. I own (and love) a DR but I think a road-biased bike would make a better 2nd bike: WeeStrom, Versys, whatever.

I have had my dr for over a year. I was looking for something to ride from home to dirt and back. and ive done just that with the biggest smile on my face. When I got the dr i loved everything about it including the price. When compared to the klr the klr is 80 street 20 dirt and the dr is 50 50. As far as distance no biggie the dr kicks but. On tuesday i rode 6 hours straight with a couple stops here and their. I did about 75 miles on pavement and 75 miles on dirt.........sunday i was out for eight hours. Dont get me wrong a klr can do it but it is a street bike. Also the klr is wide with that big fairing it doesnt even look fun. The dr is going to do everthing you want it to and handle it just as well.

Good luck with your choice in bike. Like a couple of people have mentioned, it may be too similar in some instances, .... having a DRZ400 as well as a DR650.

The DRZ is definitely a dirt bike, and won't be very comfortable for any distance on the road.

Having said that, .. the stock DR650 seat isn't an armchair ride either !! :lol: but with a bit of modifying, the DR can do most things pretty well.

KLR's have a great following too. Most of us are either in one camp or the other, and they are both very good bikes.

IMHO .... the DR650 is the better of the two, simply because .... it's "simple" !! No water cooling to worry about. Easy to work on. Zillions of after market parts for them, so you can modify them until your hearts content ... (ok, maybe some people get content !! lol )

I'm on my second DR650 now, and wonder what possessed me to sell my first one .. ????!!!! Never mind, ... I have regained my senses now, and am happily approaching the first service on my new 09 model, bought about one month ago from my local Suzuki dealer.

Ride one and decide. As someone else has said .... I have NEVER read a report where someone regretted buying one. See if you can find one .. ??? :banana:

They are great bikes !! Have fun !! :banana:

There is an interesting thread in progress over on AdvRider that I've been following. The entire thread is good, but post 65 on page 5 really drives home the DR side of the debate for me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557477&page=5

Going directly to your question, of the 650's the DR is more "dirtly" and the KLR is more "streetly." I've ridden both on the same dirt roads near where I live, and if I could have only one bike the DR would be it.

That said, I have to agree with those suggesting the V-Strom 650. If you are going to keep the DRZ for riding dirt, moving another jump in a streetly direction with the wee seems reasonable. It will do the paved roads more comfortably and with substantially more power, and it will handle the dirt roads with poise.

Just MHO.

Thanks for the help everyone, the search continues. I appreciate the thoughts and advice. I think I'm honing in on either a DR or a Wee. I'm infatuated with the new F800GS, but with the economy the way that it is, and a kid in college, a $14000 motorcycle is not in the cards. Plus, I've got too much Scottish blood to do that when that much moolah will buy two nice bikes with lots left over to mod with!!