Sign in to follow this  

07 wr250f knifing in the sand

OK GURU'S, MY WR250F LIKES TO KNIFE IN THE SAND:foul:, ANYBODY HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH DIFFERENT CLAMPS! REKLUSE E-AXLE? ETC?

IS THERE DIFFERENT IN OFF SETS FROM THE YZ MODELS!

DO WE WANT TO PULL THE WHEEL IN OR PUSH IT OUT!

I HAVE THE SAG @ 100-105MM!

IS THIS THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF SAG! I KNOW THE YZF MODELS RUN MORE SAG!

IM USING DUNLOP 745? TIRE! WITH TRIALS TIRE IN REAR!

ANY IDEA'S???

SCOTT

I assume the forks are lowered all the way down in the clamps? For sand 100mm-105mm sag is correct. Are you standing up and riding with your butt back more over the back of the bike when this happens? Or are you sitting down in the 100% guaranteed to knife and buck you over the bars position?

It is just a case of practice and time. As already said stand and put you butt further back than normal and try a tad more throttle. let the front wheel find it own path. If you ride in sand a lot then a steering stabiliser might be a good option.

You need stiffer fork springs, stiffer settings and higher oil level.

ok

FORKS are @ the 5mm mark, will try to lower them flush!

yes, alot of times im sitting down (slow canyons/wash's etc), i cannot be in attack position all the time!

fork springs are .46 with oil level @ 120mm! and updated base valve! IE:took out the OEM base valve and replaced w/yz piston and valving! i think oil level is a little high as i am not using all my travel!!

"let the front wheel find it own path. If you ride in sand a lot then a steering stabiliser might be a good option. "

if u let the front wheel find it own path, you will be on the ground!!!

i have scotts stablizer! set pretty stiff!!

i will play around with fork height and sag settings, as the trials tire is a little taller than a knobby!

scott

let your tire pressures down, i mostly ride sand and run 11 - 12 psi front and rear, makes a world of difference before you start messing about with suspension setup!

By letting the front wheel find its own path is meant to not hold the bars too tight or over react to small front end movements. I find throttle control a major part in sand riding-as much as steering with the bars. In fact I normally stand, butt out grip the bike with my knees firmly and steer with my weight rather than major bar adjustments.

Assuming your sag is correct, knifing is usually a result of soft fork settings, causing the front end to ride low, steepening the head angle. Moving the forks down in the clamps could help, but also turn your clickers in (stiffer) when you know you'll be in the sand. Of course all these things can cause the front end to push in hardpack turns. You really can't have the best of both worlds. Find a balance you can live with or adjust for every ride. Writing it down helps.

Regarding technique, if you've ever ridden a stand up jet ski, that's how you should ride in the sand. Weight slightly further back, rpm's high, and turn while on the throttle.

Try to adjust where your butt hits the seat depending on how soft the sand is. I never measured, but I'd guess that if your butt is against the tank in a hardpack turn, it should be 4-6 inches further back in soft sand.

Like the others said, stiffen (slow down) the front clickers and move the forks all the way down.

I'm experiencing the same kind of problems with my 07 WR250, I've lowered the fork tubes till the are flush with top of triple clamps, backed off on the preload, the latest thing I've tried, is to reverse the handlebar clamps, and I've added a riser hoping this will move me further back. I'll be trying to stiffen up the compression as well. I used to ride an XR650L, and had similar problems until my front tire went flat, man that thing handled in the sand, so maybe backing the pressure off a few pounds from the 15 I usually run might help as well. If you find any solutions pass them along.

I am from myrtle beach sc thats all we ride in. It does take practice but overall I 100% agree with tire pressure you have got to lower it. It willl make a big difference.