Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Slipping ?

Any idea's if my clutch is knackered, slack at the lever end but when in 5th or 6th on the road and I open her up she slips...:banana: also after some hardish off-roading she seems reluctant to change gears down whist staionary. I picked up a set of genuine plates from fleabay the other week for £7 but not got any friction ones yet and didn't want to spend £££ unless the plates are worn, I guess i could strip her down and measure them but seems a balls ache just to check ?.

Any thoughts on what's best options ?, nothing desperate at the moment but worried it might let me down.

She's a 2003 XR250 showing just under 10k on the clock.

Check the the cable first because it may be boogered up with dirt that would not allow the cable to fully return to its resting position(clutch out) allowing the clutch to slip. If its not the cable its the clutch. Cheep thing would be to change the friction disks and rough the steel plates. Its not great but it is cheep. Better thing to do would be change the plates and disks and check the basket. Start simple then go from there.

Will check cable I do keep it well lubed as bike always gets washed down after every ride. I use Silkolene Super 4 Semi-Synthetic 10W40 same as what goes in my ZX12 but only changed it once I know certainoils can affect clutches but I was informed this was more for car clutches rather than bikes ?.

I have a set of plates new Honda so changing them wouldn't be a problem, I guess after the cable I could pull the cover and check friction plate thickness according to manural and plate condition.

Thanks for the idea's :banana:.

Actually I heard just the opposite and it is stated in the owner's manual, don't use oil with friction modifiers or oils listed as energy saving.