Cheapest way to go racing (camping/transportation)

Right now we have a 35ft (or close to that) RV with a small enclosed trailer behind with bikes. It gets 7 miles to the gallon so it takes so much money for gas. I dont live anywhere close to racing tracks so we have to travel atleast 3+ hours.

I thought a toy hauler would be better but my dads truck is a 2005 f150 so it cant handle much.

What are your guys ways of racing and camping overnight? I would like to keep it to camping overnight at the track (instead of hotel), its alot funner.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I bought my new truck (Dodge Ram Hemi Sport) I had a 4 cylinder slammed GMC Sonoma...so I had little power and room. I loaded up the extended cab with my gear, took a tent, air mattress, and the bike. I was set for a night or weekend. I'd either cook my food on a fire pit or eat out at night, but eat what I bought at the grocery store during the day. That kept things really cheap.

*more fun. :banana:

I take an open trailer and a tent. You can buy a big enclosed trailer and section half of that for sleeping and the other half for bikes/gear. I've seen people do it, pretty good.

Lol...yeah what do you do when you have to take a crap though?

even when i take my trailer, if there are porta-potties at a race or campground, I'll typically use them and save the trailer bathroom for the womenfolk. Not as big a deal for an overnight as it is for a weeklong trip tho.

Maybe just try to hook up with someone else to share the existing rv you already have? Or drive slower so you get better mileage? I get between 8 and 12mpg with my travel trailer (towed by a 2003 tundra), depending on how fast I drive. So I drive fairly slow most of the time.

Tow the bike with the van on a 4x8 trailer and pull out all the seats since its just me.I have all the room i need to sleep and carry my gear. I usualy travel light since im fairly close to home but it fits 2 sets of riding gear, boots, chest protector, cooler, food, sleeping bag and such, change of cloths, and some tools, and a 5 gallon can of gas. I could sleep 2 or 3 in the van, but not comfortably if i had a bigger enclosed trailer.

I bought a used toyota boxvan from Uhaul. Get about 20mpg, got it set up with a full size pull down bed, 2 cots, a heater buddy...and I gotta portable toilet for those few weekends I might need it. I bring a portable room for it when I do. Keep all my gear, a toolset, and pop-up tent.

Boxvans are the way to go IMHO. Old school.

What I do if I'm camping at a race is.

2005-6? Scion XB towing a 6 foot-ish trailer. Not enclosed.

This holds 2 big gear bags, 5 gallons of gas, 10x12 tent, 2 sleeping bags, medium sized cooler, tools, and many extras.

About 25 miles to the gallon with the trailer seems pretty good to me. :banana:

Tons of fuel and the non-stop mechanical/electrical/plumbing/hydraulic/etc. issues are the prices to pay for the comfort of a big rig.

I get 29 MPG with this setup, although I can't sleep in a tent at a generator convention (MX track):

civic.jpg

Last year I camped in a van for sleepover races, but this year I picked up a 6x12.

haulmark6x12.jpg

My dad works a mechanic at the Fire Department and they just sold 2 working and one parts ambulances for like $3000 total. They had newer trannies, nice running diesels, full aluminum boxes etc... (they were like $100,000 new in 1994)One could mod them ever so slightly to sleep 2 and haul 2 bikes , and with a re gear get up to 20mpg...

My dad works a mechanic at the Fire Department and they just sold 2 working and one parts ambulances for like $3000 total. They had newer trannies, nice running diesels, full aluminum boxes etc... (they were like $100,000 new in 1994)One could mod them ever so slightly to sleep 2 and haul 2 bikes , and with a re gear get up to 20mpg...

Thats sick. Thats a really good idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Any thoughts on fun movers? MPG? Its kinda an all in one thing.

there you go get a monster edition ambulance:thumbsup:

or just ride your bike to the track with a sleeping bag on ur back:banana:

monster edition ambulance= posermobile...

I agree

though an ambulance, pulling into the races with lights ablaze and sirens going then all the sudden someone yells over the loudspeaker "we came to bring something to the hospital.... all yalls pride after we whooop you!!":lol: