Sign in to follow this  

Issues

So before the start of winter i brought my bike into my basement, with the plan of doing a bunch of stuff to make it better/keep it maintained. I have been riding about 7 years, mostly woods and trails but I would go to the track a few times. My friend is a member of a track and Is helping me become a member and my plan is to ride there as much as I can to practice, then enter the races held there. I am 18 and wish i would have been pushed into motocross when i was young, but I am forced to try and start now. Back on track.. my bike as of right now is all apart. I greased all the chassis bearings, got new tires put on, and just cleaned stuff up. Took the forks off the other day, which brings me to my first issue. I am trying to convince my parents to let me get my suspension revalved, and of course they try and say nothing is wrong with my bike or suspension, but I keep insisiting if I do this it will make a world of difference and benefit me in the future. Point is I dont quite have 440 bucks for the job. so i asked them to split the cost 3 ways. I dont know what to do, they dont understand. And im just getting frustrated because dirtibkes and motocross are just a big money hole that you throw money into. I just never get a break, I know i should be able to support myself but right now i am in the process of looking for another job, since hate lifeguarding. Oh and to top things off, I do not have a way to transport my bike, need help there too. I dont mean to write a book here, but i beleive that all of us here are mature adults, and we can talk openly here on this site. Thanks and just let me know your thoughts

You need to put real priorities before riding...

First a job..

Then a cheap old Japanese truck or car with trailer..

Then mass with upgrades...

Splitting $440 three ways comes to right around $147. I would not give my son that much money for something I don't understand. My point being, your mom doesn't understand what revalving a suspension will do. I support your parents decision. You're growing up and you need to start paying for your own stuff. That's life.

Well, think of it like this. Bikes are a privilege, not a necessity. So I can see where your parents are coming from. If these are things you really want, hunker down and start saving your pennies. Im not trying to be a jerk, but you get what you put in. Just my .02.

Keep your chin up bud!

Sometimes life is tough and what you want and what you get are two different things (so i keep telling my wife LOL). Any sort of motorsport is a money pit with usually no financial returns so its really up to you how much you want to spend.

$440 is alot of money and as your parents see it, it is not broken so they probably dont want to spend that money on an "upgrade".

and starting at 18 is still good, i started at 25 and other have started as late as 50 so you got plenty of years ahead of you. Start looking for another job and saving money so you dont have to ask your parents for the $$$, it sucks but sometimes there is no other way

if it makes you feel better im 27, 1 kid with 1 on the way and a mortgage over my head and wife staying at home looking after the baby so im just happy to ride whenever i get some free time =)

Yeah dude, get a job and support your hobby. Some are more fortunate that had parent's with money or supportive of their hopeful MX career. Most parents are not like this and the rest of us that are in the real world must suck it up and drive on.

Well, you're 18, if your parents aren't paying your way, all I have to say is welcome to adult hood. You say you don't like your job, lifeguarding, well you should probably learn to deal w/ it, most of us adults on here don't like out jobs either, but it pays the bills. You should especially suck it up, I know to be a life guard here you have to be cpr certified and have to have special 1st responder training, this means good pay for an 18 year old that you're not going to find at your corner gas station or pizza shop.

As far as the transportation goes, how are you getting to the track or woods to ride now? I would keep working, get the suspension done and bum a ride w/ your buddy that is a track member. Keep working and buy a $2000 compact beater truck.

Are you going to college when you graduate?

MAX!!!

I ride in the woods because there is woods right next to my house, I know many would be fortunate to have a place like this to ride, but it is getting a little old, and it is private property that is going to be built up within 5 years or so, so you always run the risk of getting a citation since it is patrolled one in a while by a cop that was hired to do just that. I have been stuck riding here since I have been riding because I have never had a means of transportation for my bike. Up to this point i have pretty much paid for everything that has been done on my bike, tires, top end, sprokets, chain oil. ect. My parents did buy me the bike which i am greatful for since they did not have to, but I am running out of money until i find another job. I have brought my bike a long way from this past summer to where it is, and the suspension is the last hurdle, to make it ready for this season. the reason I am looking for another job is because I stopped lifeguarding becuase of my highschool sports, swimming. And after the summer i put in for my winter hours and was told they run by seniority, and me being new first time lifeguarder, I was put on the sub list. the other week I went in and talked to my boss and he said "the only thing I have available, is for you to be available" my cpr liscense expires in june and I dont think i am paying another $300 to get recertified. I am going to be getting my camp counselor job back in june or w/e with the same Y i lifeguard at. just searchin now for a job in between. And for my plans after highschool (senior) is my community college or thaddeous stevens college of technology.

Thankyou to everyone that is being supportive. And what your saying means alot to me.

I got CPR certified for free...

As did I! But I doubt the license we got could get us hired as a lifeguard :banana:

Yeah i would not worry about suspension unless your an expert. Just make sure your fork seals aint blowen and just ride!

idk where you are looking to get your forks revalved... but pro circuit does it for $320 front and rear.... so you could save a bit there....i looked it up and i will link it to you.... and if the car/suv u have has a hitch mount... find one of those dirtbike racks that slide into it.... i will also link you to one of those

http://www.procircuit.com/suspension.htm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027H200M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LUXYZW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=02STRFS2MHM88AWGM6ME

i hope you have the best of luck with this... and if you cant afford the rack... build your own... thats what one of my buddies did with just scraps he found at the scrapyard... GL have fun

idk where you are looking to get your forks revalved... but pro circuit does it for $320 front and rear.... so you could save a bit there....i looked it up and i will link it to you

http://www.procircuit.com/suspension.htm

What your not noticing is that is just for labor , after parts it will be double that price , from Pro Circut !

really?! i didnt know that.... thats such a rip offfff... i would rather do it myselffff...

You

No money+performance 4t= No sense...

Me

No money+performance 2t= Some sense...