Sign in to follow this  

finally worked out my led turn signals problem

well after about two days of working on my bike and 6 different auto and cycle dealerships i fixed my led problem. well turns out the led flasher i bought off ebay worked. i was just never told it needed to be grounded. you also must remove the turn signal indicator bulb. other than that, thats it. pretty easy. nice and bright and no load resistors. just need to wire up some small leds for the indicator and ground them. hope this helps those of you with led problems. :banana:

I also found out (after several attempts and many curse words) you have to remove the turn signal indicator light, but I didn't ground my flasher and everything worked. I used the baja designs LED flasher. Out of curiousity, what flasher are you using?

im not really sure what kind of light it is. i bought it off ebay. its small, i think 7 leds are in each turn signal. yea i think i had to ground mine because mine is a "2 or 3 prong relay" they say you can use it for either or. but when i tried it and i didnt work thats when i got mad. lets just say the guy who sold me got alot of angry...very angry emails. but after i worked it out. i was fine. im just happy to have my turn signals working again.i just wish he would of told me what i would have to do to get it to work.

Did this on my old XR250R but will never do it again as it was too much of a pain in the arse and the stock look on a XR650R looks way better :banana:

It is possible to get a little led globe for the turn signal indicator light and then you dont have to get rid of it :lol:

the problem with the xr650l is the way its wired up. becuase both the postives run to indicator light (orange and light blue) and when one is working the other is more like a ground and vise-versa. so when you would put a led bulb in, one side would be blinking. and the other side would be slightly blinking. or the indicator light would work only on one side. like if i pluged the light in, only one side would actually light up the indicator. so later on i will have wire in 2 small leds. and ground them. so that both sides will work. so much work just for turn sgnals...

the problem with the xr650l is the way its wired up. becuase both the postives run to indicator light (orange and light blue) and when one is working the other is more like a ground and vise-versa. so when you would put a led bulb in, one side would be blinking. and the other side would be slightly blinking. or the indicator light would work only on one side. like if i pluged the light in, only one side would actually light up the indicator. so later on i will have wire in 2 small leds. and ground them. so that both sides will work. so much work just for turn sgnals...

Or you can install or build one of these...http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Genesis_Metric_Cruiser_Diode_Kit (Item: GEN-MDK) and keep your existing indicator light...its a common problem and I've seen others offered but this is the first one that came up on a google search just now.

i guess i could...if i wanted to spend more money on a kit thats cost more than my turn signals. and to be honest im not sure where i would mount something like that. or even wire that thing in. alot of wire going there, and most of them are pretty big. all i have to do is wire in 2 small leds in and ill be golden. ill update in a week and let you know how it goes. for now im just going to ride as is.

Actually you can use one led as the turn signal indicator and use a diode bridge. The polarity on the 2 wires going to the indicator lamp switches depending what side you are turning. The led only works on the side that the polarity is good. Putting a diode bridge will assure that the polarity stays the same regardless of which side you turn. I have one on my XRL and it works great.

Actually you can use one led as the turn signal indicator and use a diode bridge. The polarity on the 2 wires going to the indicator lamp switches dpending what side you are turning. The led only works on the side that the polarity is good. Putting a diode bridge will assure that the polarity stays the same regardless of which side you turn. I have one on my XRL and it works great.

Is a diode bridge what they call thing I posted a link to above? http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Genesis_Metric_Cruiser_Diode_Kit

Is a diode bridge what they call thing I posted a link to above? http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm#Genesis_Metric_Cruiser_Diode_Kit

I think the items in the link you posted are load balancers. I think all they do is add a resistor load so that the LEDs draw the same amount of current as the normal bulbs. I do not like using resistors because they can get hot. You can use 2 LEDS and that would be the cheapest method but if you only want one LED as the turn signal indicator you need the diode bridge in the link I posted works very well and is really simple to hook up. You cut the wires going to the indicator lamp socket and crimp on a connector on each and hook them on to the input of the bridge(doesn't matter how you connect them to the input side of the bridge) and hook up the LED to the output of the bridge (+ and -). If the LED doesn't work the first time then you just have to reverse it because need the correct polarity.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Actually you can use one led as the turn signal indicator and use a diode bridge. The polarity on the 2 wires going to the indicator lamp switches depending what side you are turning. The led only works on the side that the polarity is good. Putting a diode bridge will assure that the polarity stays the same regardless of which side you turn. I have one on my XRL and it works great.

DC,

Are you using LED signals as well? If so, what's the blow-by-blow? I want to outfit the pig with flush mount LEDs but haven't a clue how to actualy make them work! I am an e-diot so wiring, volts, amps and such is all greek to me.:banana:

I use a Vapor dash with the LED lighting option and had also installed LEDs signal lights that I got off ebay but when they arrived they were way smaller then what I thought they would be for my liking. I had installed them but returned to the stock fixtures with LED bulbs inside. I might get ones that are molded to the rear fender with a new tail light. LED bulbs are much brighter for daylight use.

I use a Vapor dash with the LED lighting option and had also installed LEDs signal lights that I got off ebay but when they arrived they were way smaller then what I thought they would be for my liking. I had installed them but returned to the stock fixtures with LED bulbs inside. I might get ones that are molded to the rear fender with a new tail light. LED bulbs are much brighter for daylight use.

I have been struggling to get my normal flashers to work on my bike. I've worked over the switch, tried several diferent flashers and they still don't work worth a :banana: until the flasher gets warm. I like LEDs, so it's time to stop messing with stuff I don't like anyway.

How did you wire in your LED blinkers? Are you using the stock selector switch? What flasher do you use? Did you need resistors or any other silliness? Remember... e-diot here... small words, colored diagrams and pictures :lol:

I have been struggling to get my normal flashers to work on my bike. I've worked over the switch, tried several diferent flashers and they still don't work worth a :banana: until the flasher gets warm. I like LEDs, so it's time to stop messing with stuff I don't like anyway.

How did you wire in your LED blinkers? Are you using the stock selector switch? What flasher do you use? Did you need resistors or any other silliness? Remember... e-diot here... small words, colored diagrams and pictures :lol:

Honestly its been so long I couldn't tell you the part number of the LED flasher but to say its was one that was universal LED kit flasher that they used on trailers.

I do not like using the resistor method because they can become warm and a hazard if you leave your flasher on for an extended time. The LEDS just used stock wiring, nothing special, just make sure you check for proper polarity and you need the proper LED flasher. Be aware that some flashers requires the flasher itself to be grounded for it to work properly. It might or might not apply to you but it will save you lots of time and headaches if it does apply.

The indicator light will cause problems too and you need replace it with either 2 LEDS ( one for each side ) or install a diode bridge and one LED.

Once you decide how you want to proceed just post and I will try to help if you run into any problems.

Honestly its been so long I couldn't tell you the part number of the LED flasher but to say its was one that was universal LED kit flasher that they used on trailers.

I do not like using the resistor method because they can become warm and a hazard if you leave your flasher on for an extended time. The LEDS just used stock wiring, nothing special, just make sure you check for proper polarity and you need the proper LED flasher. Be aware that some flashers requires the flasher itself to be grounded for it to work properly. It might or might not apply to you but it will save you lots of time and headaches if it does apply.

The indicator light will cause problems too and you need replace it with either 2 LEDS ( one for each side ) or install a diode bridge and one LED.

Once you decide how you want to proceed just post and I will try to help if you run into any problems.

diode bridge! How's that affect the compression ratio or fuel mixture? :lol:

Seriously, thanks for offer of walking me through it and I WILL be talking to you later :banana: