Sign in to follow this  

2010 KX250F setup for woods/enduro so far..

Have had my 2010 KX250F for 2 months now and thought i would post up my thoughts and what i have done so far. Previous bike was a 08 WR250F, the KX's main use is for racing enduro's and woods type riding. Wanted something a bit lighter than the WR, better suspension for racing and a bit more power. Was originally going to get a 2010 YZF but the KX was quite a bit cheaper and i had heard pretty good things about them in reviews. Have 22 hours on it now so have had a fair bit of time to get used to it and make the changes i needed to feel comfortable and work out what it needed to go from a MX to a enduro bike.

First thing i noticed when i rode it was something didnt feel right in regards to the seat to pegs distance. Im fairly tall at 6,2 and my knees felt like they were up around my ears when sitting down. The peg to bar distance felt pretty good when standing so I went with a taller seat. The WR with a stock seat didnt feel anything like the KX did and i could notice it quite alot getting straight off one and onto the other, I thought most jap bike would be all very similar in this area. Anyone else noticed this? There isnt a tall seat available for the 2010, so i bought a SDG for an 08 model, pulled the cover off that, modded the foam to suit the original 2010 base, glued it on and fitted the cover. Works great and added a bump to the rear section of the seat made out of a piece of mousse tube to help stop my arse sliding back.

Fitted some Stock KTM bars as i like that bend and some cycra pro bend bark busters. I also fitted a light pull clutch assembly as i found the clutch action quite heavy for a 250F... when will the japs pull there fingers out and fit a hydro clutch like the KTM's? Brakes feel excellent front and back, front has plenty of stopping power for my needs. Thats about it for the ergo's.

Power on the KX is awesome, as everyone has reported... absoultely blows the WR away. Will not touch the engine or exhaust, thought about a FWW, but after riding it i like it just the way it is. Added one tooth to the rear sprocket, fitted an o-ring chain and TM design chain guide on the swingarm. Have also laced up an 18 inch rear rim to the original hub and running mousses with a bridgey 203/204 tyre combo... pretty good for majority of conditions. Have also fitted a Light speed carbon glide plate with wings, not sure how this is going to hold up for offroad but time will tell.

Stock suspension took a while to bed in but once it did didnt feel too bad apart from HS small square edge stuff, and seemed more noticeable under brakes comming into corners. Have had it revalved twice, the 2nd time just to softern up the comp stacks front and back a little more, have had one ride on it since then so still need a little more time to fine tune the clickers but i think its getting pretty close. Still running stock springs front and back for my 83kg no gear weight, rear spring seems right on its limit for my weight when doing the rider/static sag, 100/25mm at the moment (gear on).

I'm still playing with the handling at the moment and trying different bar rotations and fork heights. It generally feels quite good, just havent got 100 percent feel and confidence in the front end yet. Seems to be taking a bit of mucking around to get it to feel right for my 6,2 height. Have decided to put some 22mm clamps on it which should hopefuly turn up soon and i will be able to report back some good results! Was weighing it ip for a while weather to make the investment in the clamps but thought as i will be keeping the bike for 2 years it will be worthwhile especially if it finishes the handling package off.

Fuel range is good, seems fairly economical for a 250F and with an 8 litre tank stock its plenty big enough for enduro. Air filter access is a bit of a pain in the arse, very tight airbox and the best way i have found so far is to remove the L/H sidecover aswell to get some decent access and make sure its sealing right, its only one more bolt with the seat already off.

Have had an issue with the L/H intake valve closing up already (none of the others are moving) so im still unsure what has happened here. After talking with a couple of people including an engine shop i have decided to stick with the stock valves as they are alot cheaper and by all accounts quite a good valve from what i have heard/read, seems some people on here are getting quite good hours out of the stock valves. Will put a new valve in it this week hopefuly before i race this weekend.

So that about it for now, all in all a pretty good bike, with a little more setup and tuning it should be a weapon. let me know your thoughs or any other setup tips. Few pics below :banana:

P1000396.jpg

P1000401.jpg

P1000398.jpg

P1000403.jpg

Edited by yamaha227

Nice bike man I use my 07 kxf for woods and mx. LOoks nice im just not used to a kx witha headlight lol. THat is one tall seat. Ive been thinking about getting one too im 6ft tall.

I'm buying that skid plate. I like your attention to detail. I'm 5'7".. so I'd need training wheels on that thing....

I assume you have read the AP mod on carb, and have played with jetting. You can get her spot on, maybe not FI, but spot on! search the carb forum if you have not already done so. I agree with you about the Pumpkin Clutch, I loved my KTM in more ways than I will admit. Have fun with the Green machine!

I'm buying that skid plate. I like your attention to detail. I'm 5'7".. so I'd need training wheels on that thing....

I assume you have read the AP mod on carb, and have played with jetting. You can get her spot on, maybe not FI, but spot on! search the carb forum if you have not already done so. I agree with you about the Pumpkin Clutch, I loved my KTM in more ways than I will admit. Have fun with the Green machine!

Will have a look at the carb mods. Seems quite good at the moment. I set it up to the MXA specs just to try them and it seems pretty close.

Yeah it is a tall seat, but i have quite long legs and with the stock pegs being higher than any other jap bike i have ridden i needed to get more room between the pegs and seat. I can still touch the ground pretty much flat footed with this seat when sitting in the middle of the bike.

That is a beautiful bike!

Could you please give some info on your lighting setup? Are you using a lighting stator or battery or is it just for looks to pass tech?

Thanks.

That is a beautiful bike!

Could you please give some info on your lighting setup? Are you using a lighting stator or battery or is it just for looks to pass tech?

Thanks.

I just use a small battery that i have made a light aluminum removeable cradle for it to mount in the airbox. Its purely to show that I have a working headlight/tail/brake light for scrutineering or tech as you call it.

beautiful bike man just gorgeous. :banana:

is this the light pull you added for your clutch? mine is pretty stiff, wondering if this would help:

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1800&product_group_id=7267

also, does the lightspeed have a spot to drain oil? looking at the moose racing carbon fiber skid plate and it looks like one solid piece... i guess you have to remove it every oil change?

Wow a lot of work has gone into your bike and my dad has the same tall seat on his kx250f.

beautiful bike man just gorgeous. :thumbsup:

is this the light pull you added for your clutch? mine is pretty stiff, wondering if this would help:

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1800&product_group_id=7267

also, does the lightspeed have a spot to drain oil? looking at the moose racing carbon fiber skid plate and it looks like one solid piece... i guess you have to remove it every oil change?

No its not that one, its one of these

http://www.ballards.cc/catalogue-2010

Check out page 64 of the catalogue.

The light speed carbon bash plate has a spot to drain the oil so no need to remove it if you dont want to. I would prob think twice about putting a carbon bashplate on a enduro bike... after now doing a couple of races on it i dont think its gonna hold up to well over time like an alluminum one.

how do you like the 18" rim on the back?

what differences could you feel from the switch?

The 18" rim is good. Didnt notice any difference in ruts etc, bit more grip climbing snotty hills. Didnt notice any drop in power with the 18" rim and 110/100-18 bridgey rear tyre with a tube. But did notice a drop in power when i fitted the mousse.

The light speed carbon bash plate has a spot to drain the oil so no need to remove it if you dont want to. I would prob think twice about putting a carbon bashplate on a enduro bike... after now doing a couple of races on it i dont think its gonna hold up to well over time like an alluminum one.

Yeah, I have had two carbon fiber ones in the past. Both broke in a short amount of time. One was some offbrand but the other was an enduro engineering one that broke when I cased a small (20ft) double, not even abusing logs or rocks.

I just picked up a KX250F and have heard the stock seat is pretty bad. I am 6'4 so this concerns me. It looks funny with a tall seat though. Whatever you need to get the job done right though!

I thought about getting a Magura clutch for it, because I love my KTM 144SX clutch too much. I don't think I can go back to a cable clutch.

I bought Pro Circuit stiffer clutch springs too. Am I able to use those with a hydraulic clutch? (I don't really know what all goes into a hydraulic clutch system...)

As far as jetting, I am looking into a JD jet kit or a FMF jet kit. What kind of changes did you feel with your jetting so far?

I just picked up a KX250F and have heard the stock seat is pretty bad. I am 6'4 so this concerns me. It looks funny with a tall seat though. Whatever you need to get the job done right though!

I thought about getting a Magura clutch for it, because I love my KTM 144SX clutch too much. I don't think I can go back to a cable clutch.

I bought Pro Circuit stiffer clutch springs too. Am I able to use those with a hydraulic clutch? (I don't really know what all goes into a hydraulic clutch system...)

As far as jetting, I am looking into a JD jet kit or a FMF jet kit. What kind of changes did you feel with your jetting so far?

Cant see any reason why you couldnt use the hydro clutch with those springs.

As far as the seat goes, i took an inch off the other day from what you can see in the photo's so its a little lower now... perfect height now, felt as though i was a little too on top of the bike before.

I felt stock jetting wasnt too far off. I jetted it to MXA's specs from their

250F shootout and find it pretty good.

Well my Applied 22mm triple clamps turned up the other day, fitted them last night and went riding today so thought i would post up what i found.

Fittment/setup:

Pressed stem and lower bearing out of old lower clamp and fitted to new clamp. All easy enough to do with a press. Fitted new clamps to bike, forks in set to first line from top, posts onto top clamps in the forward offset, bars on and one piece top bar clamp fitted. No problems at all, what i did notice compared to old clamps with bars/forks fitted is the bars now sit about 8-10mm lower than before and the centre of the bars now sit directly in-line with the centre of the upper fork tubes now, looking from the side. Both things which i wanted anyway but didnt know i would get, best mod i have done to the KX so far IMO :thumbsup:

Ride:

I'm really impressed with these clamps. I didnt think i would notice much but with the bars now sitting where i wanted them like explained above and the different offset of the clamps i am alot more comfortable and confident with the bike now. Previously the bike would get a bit of head shake happening in higher speed stuff (3rd , 4th gear) but that has gone now. It doesnt knife on me now comming into turns and is alot more redictable, especially on flat turns. With the bars sitting further forward it has made more room for me and easier to get forward on the seat and feel comfortable. So im definately really stoked i made the decision to get the clamps, i think the combination of the different offset and bar position has made a big difference and given me alot more confidence in the handling of the KX. :lol:

where did you get the lights/lighting kit? Im thinking about buying a new bike and really like the kx250f but i mostly ride trails and would like to have lights

I am only 5'11 and I use a tall soft seat foam from GUTS racing - best $70 mod ever IMO.

The only thing I would add (if you ride in rocks at all or slap down landings from MX stuff) is SubTanks for the forks. It makes the first 1-4'' really plush and then takes on the fast action with pillow-like resistence. If you have ever ridden a KTN 350 you know what I mean when it I say it feels like the front end is glued to the ground.

Best of all you can take them from bike to bike. I have for the past 4 bikes - all with the same results. I have let 4 of my friends take them off om bike (less than 5 min.) and put them on theirs and all 4 went out and bought their own if that tells you anything. You can find them for around $240. Mine are Air-Cell's - but Enzo and others make the same stuff. There used to be a post on how you could build your own for around $100. on this site also....nice bike btw.