Sign in to follow this  

250 2t

Whats the best way to ride one ? Screem it ,or ride in the higher gears and use the torque ?

i was always told to beat the shit out of them thats how they run the best but i dont i scream it when i need to (flying on trails or hill climbs) but usually i keep it at enough rpm so the rpms arent low enough that it will bog or oil up the plug too much. idk ride it in to the ground there only like 50$ max for rings just rebuild it every spring and do regular maintance then they last forever. idk ride how you think is best. jsut take care of it and keep the 2 strokes alive

2t's are made for open throttle, high temps, high rpms! ride it like you stole it and it will be a blastttttttt. maintain and it will last!

2 strokes demand more throttle control then a 4 stroke, particularly the 250 2 strokes. I usually come in corners a gear high and use the clutch to meter the power. They have more bottom end power then most people think, use it. But off jumps and anywhere else, you want to have the powervalves open.

2 strokes demand more throttle control then a 4 stroke, particularly the 250 2 strokes. I usually come in corners a gear high and use the clutch to meter the power. They have more bottom end power then most people think, use it. But off jumps and anywhere else, you want to have the powervalves open.

theres no such this as "throttle" control, there is however "clutch" control.

i just came off an 07 rm 144. i had that bike wrapped out all the time because you didnt have to worry about moderating the clutch as much if you were always wide open. the bike didnt have the power to get you into trouble like wheeling out of ruts and stuff. i have an 05 kx 250, and its a different animal. on off camber hard pack turns i tne to lug it a gear high, and in any loamy stuff i tend to WOT. When it comes to jumping, on this bike i really prefer to have the momentum before i get there and coast up the face witha blip at the top because hitting a gear wrapped out on a well performing 250 is tough. if you just vary the throttle the slightest amount its easy to boner air it.

There seems to be alot of people lately giving advice on things they know nothing about.:banana:

I can definitely tell half the posters on this thread have probably never even thrown a leg over a 250 smoker.:lol:

I have a CR250R. Love it! I ride with a couple buddies - one has a 2007 CRF450 and the other has an 1981 YZ465. Talk about different personalities!

Brian's 450 is amazingly easy to ride. Power everywhere. Steve's 465 is also a powerful beast, but in a different way. I think my 250 is the hardest of the three to ride, but it's also my favorite by far. When it kicks, it really kicks - it's a big insane jack rabbit... :banana:

I'm not an expert (only been riding since September) but I can already tell you that how you set up a bike changes how you ride it. For example, I have three pipes - a Pro Circuit Platinum, an FMF Gnarly, and an FMF SST. Swapping out just the pipe really affects the power band and you have to modify your riding accordingly...

:lol:

There seems to be alot of people lately giving advice on things they know nothing about.:banana:

I can definitely tell half the posters on this thread have probably never even thrown a leg over a 250 smoker.:lol:

Your'e not wrong !

if you just vary the throttle the slightest amount its easy to boner air it.

Ha !!!!!!!!

Thats gold. What a description. I have never heard it called that before.

FUNNY !!!!!!!!!!

:lol::banana::banana::banana:

:banana:

I ride mine all sorts of ways...being in New England, I lugg it and never foul a plug, then wring it out on the open fire roads. It takes the abuse and never quits!! Hill climbs, river crossings, technical terrain..... Whatever I throw at old reliable, it gets it done and never lets me down. Yamaha for me FOREVER!!

Rode a 250 smoker much?

rmz450rmz250rm250model2zf7.jpg

look at the massive torque deficite low in the RPM, followed by a sharp rise, in the space of 1800 rpm it go's from 30 hp to 45, it's definantly easier to ride them somwhere in the 6-9k rpm range then try to ride from 3-6k where the hit is, and i owned this exact modle RM 250 that's in the dyno graph, they can be ridden low in the RPM, but they much rather keep the rpm's up.

you can tell from the dyno graph there that the 250F's are much easier to ride then either by a large margin.

I love that dyno chart. I hopped on a 250F for the first time and wondered where the power was. I love both my old 250 smoker and my 450. My 250 goes almost as fast, corners better and flies better than my 450. I can only imagine how nice a newer 250 smoker does! The 450 is cool because it always has lots of power. The 250 2 stroke really doesn't have to be wound out like a 125 though. Ever since power valves came out, the mid range power is very useful.

On a 250 smoker entry speed is still key. However, the key is to not over do it. While a two-stroke is going to naturally need to carry more speed than its four-stroke counter part into a corner to ensure easier acceleration on the exit too much could have negative effects on your ride. Namely the big sacrifice on exit speed and endurance from trying to tame the power.

Rear wheel spin can be your friend and enemy, but mostly your enemy. The right amount of momentum in a corner will allow you to roll the power on smoothly enough to be in the meat of it, but not in the abrupt wheel spinning phase. Low speed and high RPM equals big wheel spin. Moderate speed and moderate to high RPM equals warp drive.

I'm on my lunch break so I don't have time to cover multiple areas of riding a 250 two-stroke, but corner speed usually seems to be the biggest hurdle in switching strokes.

Keep er' rapped out. Seems to work better on 2 strokes, at least the little experience i have with them.

Shows that you have 0 experience in 2 strokes esp. since you ride your thumper. Why don't you keep that thumper of yours wide open (I mean Rapped out) and see how long it takes before it blows up. 125's need to be in the mid-high to upper for their power. 250's can be lugged lower to mid, they make their most power mid to mid-high when in the powerband but is useless to keep it rapped out. Look at the dyno chart before you give out your opinion.

Edited by YZs4Fun