Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR250 fitted with NOS XR600 swingarm

Well I thought about it and thought about it and thought some more and finally thought to hell with it, it's something to do!

Besides, the XR600 swing-arm is aluminum and lighter.

I already had a nice new shiney swing-arm for a 1985 XR600 and a new bottom linkage so I bought a second hand swingarm to see what could and needed to be done before I butchered the new swing-arm.

The XR600 swing-arm is narrower between the frame pivots and wider on the rear wheel axle so spacers had to be made. The new swingarm linkage matched up with the shock bottom fine. The rear brake panel spivot (on the XR600 swing-arm) was too short for the XR250 brake panel to engage when the wheel was centred between the swing-arm so that had to come off and a new piece welded on. The P in the Pro-Link decal was heat damaged so I'm making some new ones to put on. I only finished the swing-arm today so I'll up a new photo later on.

I'll let the pictures below tell the rest of the story........:banana:

www.hondaxr250.com

Thank's Jeff!

DSCF5062.jpgDSCF5074.jpgDSCF5013.jpg

DSCF5024.jpgDSCF5066.jpgDSCF5076.jpg

DSCF5080.jpgDSCF5082-1.jpgDSCF5081.jpg

DSCF5083.jpg

Nice work and that is a cherry looking 85'

A testament to how much these old air heads are loved.

Im a aluminum welder myself,All Ive done since hi school is welded in one form or another,I was a metal worker for my army career,and Im in the business at home,as well as owner operator of my own portable welding rig.I feel welding aluminum is the hardest weld to master,whoever welded that for you knows what their doing.Great job.

I'm only mig experienced myself but I have a friend who started a bespoke welding shop in my home town a few years back and his sons work with him. His youngest son welded the swingarm up for me and watching him do it there was a lot more involved with having all the right settings etc on the machine.

Im a aluminum welder myself,All Ive done since hi school is welded in one form or another,I was a metal worker for my army career,and Im in the business at home,as well as owner operator of my own portable welding rig.I feel welding aluminum is the hardest weld to master,whoever welded that for you knows what their doing.Great job.

I took a welding course last quarter and focused on gas welding/brazing, arc, and spot. WE were supposed to get into MIG and TIG but some of the other projects that we did took to long. I had to take a crash course in steel TIG welding to weld some parts of my sheet metal tool box that I couldn't spot weld. That was fun. Haven't welded aluminum. My dad just got a MIG welder a little while ago that i plan on practicing on a bit before i get my own in the summer.

I am going to CWU to get a degree in Industrial Engineering Tech Degree. I get to specialize my degree a bit and i am tailoring it to focus on metal fabrication. I haven't had the opportunity until now to really work with welders, but i have always wanted to do custom metal work. I plan on doing independent study for welding to eventually be able to proficient at aluminum and steel TIG welding and Steel MIG.

Very nice work. As always. ;0)

I have 650L swingarm to put on my 350, hopefully it's a straight swap. :banana:

Nice work and that is a cherry looking 85'

A testament to how much these old air heads are loved.

My THOUGHTS exactly!!!!:banana::thumbsup::lol::worthy:

Nice bike and the pipes intrigue me, im building 2 at the moment that i intend on getting Max power out of for race purposes.

I doubled the output on the 2000 xr 100 to well above a crf150f.

I must chuckle though,your baby tread still on the edge of your tyre, NICE bike though and good job.

Nice bike and the pipes intrigue me, im building 2 at the moment that i intend on getting Max power out of for race purposes.

I doubled the output on the 2000 xr 100 to well above a crf150f.

I must chuckle though,your baby tread still on the edge of your tyre, NICE bike though and good job.

Thanks for the supportive comments guys:thumbsup:

I gotta be honest and say I haven't taken her on the dirt once since the rebuild:lame:

When the weather this side of the pond isn't the usual drenching, I'll take her out and post some pictures in the environment she was designed for:ride:

Did you do the duel exhaust your self or is it a purchased set up?:thumbsup:

Hi slider, I bought the whole CRF250 system off a chap over here (UK). I had to shorten the CRF linking pipe where it joins my original XR header and re-weld the piece off the original XR tail pipe to the CRF linking pipe. A couple of alnminium hangers I made to attach to the mufflers to my frame. I sprayed the linking pipe with some black heat paint. In other words I did it all myself:banana:

www.hondaxr250.com

You can see the pictures here:-

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm187/catuk/Dual%20mufflers/