Sign in to follow this  

Clutch problem after crank seal replacement.

I changed the right side crank seal and collar on my 96 cr 250. After I put back together now the clutch does not work. The bike starts fine, But when I put it in first it jumps and turns off. I do have a service book so I am sure I did put everything back correctly. One thing that I am not sure of is the torque on the clutch and primary gear bolts? If I over torqued any of those bolts would that cause the clutch not to work? Thanks Ben

those bolts shouldnt have anything to do with it, sounds like you wither didnt reassemble it correctly or something is misadjusted. does the clutch lever still "feel" right ie the same as before you messed it up? :banana: did you try out the clutch before you put the clutch cover back on to see if the pressure plate was still moving?

Did you have it apart for a while? Maybe the plates are stuck together. If they are pull them apart and soak them in oil.

Did you have it apart for a while? Maybe the plates are stuck together. If they are pull them apart and soak them in oil.

I did have them apart for about 4 days. for a day or two I had each plate laid out on a towel. The last two days I put them back in the clutch basket to store them while I waited for parts. What is the best way to soak them? Thanks Ben

just soak them individualy in gear oil. Make sure your clutch springs are in spec, refer to you manuel for corrrect length ,and why your at it, check your clutch basket tounges for grooving, excessive grooving will not enable your plates to completely compress resulting in your clutch to slip. A temp fix is to file down those grooves. Be extra careful in assembly and you should be right to go.

Alright, there are a few issues. The torque on any bolt in the clutch does not affect the performance. First, you know that there is a pushrod, ball bearing, then the lifter type thing that pushes on the pressure plate. It's common to lose the ball bearing. If you still have the ball, there is a spacer between the clutch basket and clutch hub. Some people forget that but that is hard to do. If you have all of the parts, there are two places to adjust the clutch, you do the rough adjust ment in the cable and the fine adjustment at the perch. Finally, these are race bikes and have function before rideability. The clutch does drag even on new bikes. This is especially true on a cold engine. Simplly rev the engine as you drop it in gear to prevent stalling.