Sign in to follow this  

05 crf450 starting problems

My bike was hard to start a couple rides ago and seemed to warm up pretty slow. It ran ok when it got warmed up. The next time I went to ride it I got it started and again it seemed to not want to warm up as normal. It popped quite a bit. When I went out on the track I road around slow about 3/4 of a lap and it stalled in a corner. I could not get it started after that.

When I got home I torn it down so I could get the carburator off. I took iy to a buddy of mine and we sat down and took it completely apart. We found that the pilot jet had a side hole plugged. I thought that was it. We cleaned and blew out all the jets and put it back together. I put it back on my bike and tried to start it. It didn't want to start right off until I played with the idle screw. I got it running and it seemed ok.

I took it back out to the track (Pala, San Diego) this past Saturday and it didn't want to start again. I played with the idle screw and got it to start once but as soon as I turned off the choke it quit. After that I could not get it started again it would only pop once in a while.

I came back home again stripped it down so i could get at the carb. I checked the pilot screw to make sure it was at the right amount of turns per the manual and it was. I also checked the spark plug and it was a little wet looking but when I checked it for a spark it had a nice blue spark.

Any suggestions?:banana:

Thanks Eddie. I had a guy at the track tell me the same thing. Talked to the Honda tech at Huntington Beach Honda yesterday and he said the same thing. Must be it.:banana: