Sign in to follow this  

sand drags and launching my predator.

i picked up an 05' predator 500 last oct. haven't really gotten used to it, yet. tried some drag racing on the sand this past weekend. all I can do is wheelie out of the hole. anyone got any pointers. i have been riding bikes and atv's about 35 yrs. not really drag racing, though. this thing makes some serious power. i know it would do good if i could keep the front end down.

sand stars. and have set of maxxis razor 2's. the sand stars are the wheelie set. if i can just figure out how to ride em out of the hole. have tried different approaches, no success. i weigh 195# and it just stands straight up. thinking longer swingarm.

ya sand stars defently not a drag tire . the only way to use them would be with a longer swinger +3 or +4 even then still not the best tire .

you may be surprised at what a set of skats 6 paddles would do for you , you may even get a secand gear start out of them ,i did .

I've never done any drags in the dunes with mine but I have done several drags and a couple in a sand riverbed without paddles. I just sit forward when I launch and hold it at about 1/3 throttle. Move back as you get moving. Depending on the terrain I will feather the clutch a little and change the RPM's at the launch. Try launches with less throttle and work your way up.

I have it down now where I can get the front tires to hover around 5 inches off the ground and tap down when I shift to 2nd and 3rd and finally set down for good near the end of 3rd gear.

I've tried launching in 2nd gear but I stopped because it's hard on the clutch. I didn't notice much of an advantage in doing it anyway and I would only do it if you have some decent mods, making 1st gear useless.

yes its very hard on the clutch if ya have to much tire, surprising how many people run paddle and its because so many other people run 8 paddles!

i know wheelies are fun but it also means your not in control, especially in a drag race , 4-6 inches is perfict, +'ed swingarm is the anwser but they are expencive ,but after having one thers no way your ever going to give it up . cheeper fix is 6 paddle tires , you can still get a wheelie, but when you want it.

it also depends so what type of sand/dirt your riding ,my sand is always wet i 'm using a +4 swinger and this year i'll be using 10 paddles ,''maybe'' i can get a little bit of wheel lift.

Sounds like a 2nd gear start is in order. And, and extended swingarm if you want to turn it into an exclusive sand machine, and give up trail riding.

that was my second question. i really dont want to give up the trail riding. so it looks like i need more practice and modifying my riding skills for the sand drags. and maybe set of scat 6's.