73-74 xr75 who's restoring ??

Ok two questions:

I'm having trouble finding the rubber/plastic carb mount that goes to the manifold. Searched ebay and have not found a vendor that has one yet. Any ideas of an alternate method of mounting a carb? Since I don't have a carb yet, maybe getting one that doesn't require the bolt together mount and use a section of rubber to connect the two together?

CRR072610041.jpg

Also, is there any reason a "generic" coil wouldn't work as long as it's 6 volts? Like this one:

DSC00026-2.jpg?t=1282590939

Keep looking on ebay.. one will show up sooner than you think, as far as the coil goes, i cant see why not.. Good luck.

Well I just found out the generic coil is 12V, and as far as I can tell the XR70s are a 6V system. I also noticed the stock coils have what looks like a little condenser attached to them, so I'm not sure what difference that would make if I try to substitute a different coil.

picked this bad boy up for $60 bucks :excuseme:

the kid who owned it said it was junk and his dad wanted it out of his shead. i took one look and asked "how much do you want for it?" he told me to give him this pile of s*** mountain bike for it and i said DEAL. i paid 60 bucks for that mountain bike and had no clue why he wanted it, but him nor his dad could figure out for the life of them why i would want such and "old run down dirt bike" i just smiled and was glad i could help this puppy live and give it a good home!

XR80.jpg

Here are some pictures of my KO restoration. Slowly getting some work done on it. Will keep you updated with pictures.

That engine looks great...I like the two-tone effect between the cases and the side covers. Seems like a lot of guys use the same color for the whole engine.

If you used paint on the engine can you share the brand and colors with us?

I've been playing around with polishing the engine cases, not to get a chromed look but to try and achieve that factory-fresh unpainted aluminum effect...it's a challenge, especially trying to get a uniform color and sheen. It's kind of fun experimenting with different techniques...I'll post some pictures later.

Thanks Guys, The cases are painted with DE1650 Dupli-color cast coat aluminum engine enamel, and the side covers are powdercoated with Eastwoods single stage reflective chrome. I think it turns out really close to the stock look.Looking forward to getting some paint on the tank and side covers soon.Here's another engine I did for a 78 of mine.

78xr75engine.jpg

78xr75after.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a '78 XR75 for $400. runs good. kids are coming off a pw50 so this will be the ride for them this season. then I'm gonna restore it. need side plates and can't find any on ebay or any sites that deal in vintage. anybody know were to get a pair?