Sign in to follow this  

where to get main bolt through crank, steahly weight messed mine up!!!

so i went to put my new steahly 11 oz fww on and my old nut came off fine. started to spin the weight on and it went on fine the for 3/4 of the distance and it snugged up. didn't know it wasn't all the way on at the time. so i grabbed the tq wrench and went to put 42 lbs on it as recommended. it kept on turning for a couple rotations and i knew something was wrong. i tried to back it off and it locked up. took some man strength to get it off and it tore the crap out of the threads. so, there was soemthing wrong with the threads on the weight, bad threads or something. anyways, where can i find a new bolt to put through there? is that a possible fix, or am i gonna be out of a lot of dough on this one. gonna call steahly tomorrow and ask ***

thanks,

mike

and i tried to put a dye and fix my crank bolt, but it's too far damaged, so is the fww. really erks me since i only heard good things about these

If you can't clean up the threads on the crank, it's shot and you'll need a new one.

Exactly. I'm trying to find where to get that main bolt and nut. Or do I have to do a whole bottom end?

so i went to put my new steahly 11 oz fww on and my old nut came off fine. started to spin the weight on and it went on fine the for 3/4 of the distance and it snugged up. didn't know it wasn't all the way on at the time. so i grabbed the tq wrench and went to put 42 lbs on it as recommended. it kept on turning for a couple rotations and i knew something was wrong. i tried to back it off and it locked up. took some man strength to get it off and it tore the crap out of the threads. so, there was soemthing wrong with the threads on the weight, bad threads or something. anyways, where can i find a new bolt to put through there? is that a possible fix, or am i gonna be out of a lot of dough on this one. gonna call steahly tomorrow and ask ***

thanks,

mike

and i tried to put a dye and fix my crank bolt, but it's too far damaged, so is the fww. really erks me since i only heard good things about these

That's a bummer. Did you happen to put grease on the threads before you installed the weight? Most of the torque specs in the manual are for dry threads, unless otherwise stated. I've heard the general rule of thumb to reduce the dry torque spec by 20% if grease is used. I've buggered up my fair share of threads to learn all of this the hard way. Good luck.

Didn't use grease. I've been doin automotive work (drag racing) for over 10 years. I'm very mechanically inclined. Only thing I can think of is that the threads had a taper towards the center. I couldn't even thread a bolt through the back side. Guess I should have checked it first. Didn't see this coming. I'm looking and only see the bolt attached to the crank. I cut a 1/4 inch off the end the the rest of the threads are good. Uses some locktite and reinstalled the stock nut. Gonna ride easy today and recheck it. If it holds then I'll just ride it without a few for a while and do a new bottom end sometime and try again. Gonna call steahly when they open and hopefully they help fix the problem. I mainly just want a new weight

alright, bit of an update. after some research i figured out that the stud is part of the crank assembly and can't be replaced. i was able to cut about a 1/4 in off the end and re-install the stock nut with some loctite. it held up fine after an hour ride today. i'm gonna recheck the torque spec tomorrow and try to ride for a while to ensure it's okay. steahly was cool and sent me a new weight out this morning after talking to them. i explained i didn't wanna complain saying it ruined my bike, just wanted another weight to intsall after i replace my crank. they were cool and took care of me. so they're still good in my book. just sucks this happened

after riding the first time today i'm stoked. i took the timing down to -2 degrees and gonna bump it up 1 degree tomorrow morning. low end was great, but lost some top end. remember i'm at 6300 ft so i need a little extra. bike was awesome and i was relieved that i got it and got rid of the 250f. can't wait for tomorrow

gonna ride for a month or so and just do a complete rebuild top and bottom. then throw the weight on at that time. might as well freshen everything up since i enjoy it and wanna take care of it