Sign in to follow this  

I screwed something up and need a little assistance.

I washed my bike tonight to clean off the weekend mud and now it barely runs. :banana:

It will start fine and idle fine, both with the choke and without. It will take a little throttle with the choke on, but too much and it stumbles, sputters, back-fires sometimes, and ultimately dies. With any load on it in gear it dies.

Without the choke it will barely take any throttle before it dies.

I'm thinking I got something that shouldn't be wet, wet. I pulled the seat and air box cover and everything there is dry. I made sure the spark plug well drained and it did. I even ran the engine at an elevated idle until it was fully warm, actually it got pretty hot, to help dry everything out and it hasn't helped.

I did not remove the tank to see if the coil and everything else under there is dry.

So what should I check? I need to get this thing running, I have a dual sport ride planned in a week!

Thanks!

I think I would remove the air filter and try it....maybe water got thru it. If that doesn't fix it try removing the bolt in the bottom of the float bowl and see if junk or water is in there....could have plugged your pilot jet or main jet.

There should`nt be water in there.....But drain the carb bowl....just to be safe....Compressed air to dry the ignition....and wire loom behind headlight.

And just to make sure the wires are dry coming from the loom to the coil..... And while in there....make sure the vacuum line was not detached during the de-mudding.....

:banana:👍

Erling

my guess is vacuum line. pretty common for the pilot to work and the main and needle to fall on its face when the bowl doesn't have enough gas.

Not the vacuum line, that was the first thing I checked. :banana:

I'm hoping its just waterlogged electrics. I used one of those high pressure nozzles you attached to the garden hose and know I hit the coil area pretty good. I don't have compressed air otherwise I would have gone over the bike immediately. I'll let it dry over night and hope all is well in the morning.

Not the vacuum line, that was the first thing I checked. :banana:

I'm hoping its just waterlogged electrics. I used one of those high pressure nozzles you attached to the garden hose and know I hit the coil area pretty good. I don't have compressed air otherwise I would have gone over the bike immediately. I'll let it dry over night and hope all is well in the morning.

I see your in CA, if you still have the charcol canister on the bike you may want to check that out too. I know they have been know to get soaked in gas and cause issues like you describe.

If not, just dry it out. I wash my DRZ (its only like once a year normally) the same way and never have had an issue but my buddy's XT350 sometimes will not run until its fully dry.

No charcoal canister either, removed that a week or two after buying the bike. :banana:

It looks like all is good. I pulled my bike out of the garage this morning while my truck was warming up, put it on prime to fill the float bowl (I drained it last night after getting the suggestion), fired it up, waited about 30 seconds, closed the choke and revved her up without any trouble.🤣

Thanks for the help, guys, its always appreciated. :banana:

yep i have an old xr that does the same thing. i have to wait a day to ride it to. or leave it running while i wash it.

I make a habit of spraying all the accessible wiring with Teflon dry lube a couple times a year. Leaves a Teflon film. Water just beads up and rolls off. Never misses a beat, puddles, rain, car wash, etc...

I make a habit of spraying all the accessible wiring with Teflon dry lube a couple times a year. Leaves a Teflon film. Water just beads up and rolls off. Never misses a beat, puddles, rain, car wash, etc...

That's not a bad idea. I may just try that. :banana: