xr400 rear shock??

I have been looking on here trying to determine what rear shocks will fit different model year XR's. I see this question asked quite offten but never see a real answer. Sticking to XR's only what model years will fit other XR's?

Example:

Will a 2001 XR400 shock fit on a 97 XR400?

If there is a thread out there covering this please direct me to it.

Thanks

Mike

As far as I know, there were no changes to the shock or linkage between the '96-'04 models. So you should be good with anything you find in that range.

If I'm wrong, someone will let us know.

I got this PM from Shovelhea85(Scott) about the shocks. Thanks Scott.

>>>>>>>>>IIRC, the '96-7 linkage has different bearings (spherical vs needle, I think) but the linkage/ratio remains the same.

I think you can upgrade the early linkage to the late style bearings, but I do not know for sure.

The shock itself is the same- might've been a damping or spring change when Honda changed the forks (2000?).<<<<<<<<<<

The part numbers for a 1998 to 2004 shock are the same. I managed to get some measurements from a 2001 xr400 shock. The 2001 shock had the same measurement as my 1997 shock. This tells me that any shock from an xr400 years ranging 1997-2004 will fit. (I didn't look up the 1996 shock.)

I managed to score a shock and spring on ebay for $300 with only 6 miles on it. Lets hope so.

On a side note, does any one think it is worth selling my old shock for a parts shock? If so what would be a good starting price. (for ebay) Every thing except the shock rod is in good shape.

I found the spare one that I have. If anyone is interested, PM me.

The part numbers for a 1998 to 2004 shock are the same. I managed to get some measurements from a 2001 xr400 shock. The 2001 shock had the same measurement as my 1997 shock. This tells me that any shock from an xr400 years ranging 1997-2004 will fit. (I didn't look up the 1996 shock.)

I managed to score a shock and spring on ebay for $300 with only 6 miles on it. Lets hope so.

On a side note, does any one think it is worth selling my old shock for a parts shock? If so what would be a good starting price. (for ebay) Every thing except the shock rod is in good shape.

Holy smokes that's a lot of money for a used (barely) XR shock! :thumbsup:

$300 is like half the price of a new one.

Anyone still looking for a shock ?

sdc11677.jpg

sdc11678.jpg

Edited by scott_01_xr400

yes all xr400 shocks fit all xr400s no question there, the bearings are the only difference at least for the most part. i was on the search for a shock/upgrade shock for the last few months, found one on ebay for and won it for 80$ shipped (resprung, maybe revalved?) but anyway look around theres a couple on ebay right how if you need one, however 300 is a little steep for a used xr shock, hell if you know the right people you would be well on your way for an ohlins, haha.

Guys are looking at the dealers on fleabay too much!

They might ask 300 for a used shock, but they ain't selling many at that price. That's a $150 item at best if you know the market and watch for awhile.

Hell there are wheels that they want $350 for that you can find from individuals for $200 tops.

Don't be fooled by fleabay prices, those are mostly dealers now trying to rape the unknowing.

(JMO)

PS - I have seen used Ohlins for $400

Guys are looking at the dealers on fleabay too much!

They might ask 300 for a used shock, but they ain't selling many at that price. That's a $150 item at best if you know the market and watch for awhile.

Hell there are wheels that they want $350 for that you can find from individuals for $200 tops.

Don't be fooled by fleabay prices, those are mostly dealers now trying to rape the unknowing.

(JMO)

PS - I have seen used Ohlins for $400

totally correct on this. ebay is great, but only to a certain extent. the wheels blow my mind right now. i got a rear for 100 with rotor about a year ago, the shock for 80 and bought an 86 xr250 front wheel for 35 and converted it to use for use on an xr400. all that and its still cheaper than the shock :thumbsup:

seriously, there is no way i would pay that much for a stock used shock.

I priced out a shock rod at $200. Another $50 or so for rebuilding it. I figured for an extra $50 was reasonable.

I have found shocks around for $200 but same thing here, after rebuilding it you are at around $250+.

The one i got wont require rebuilding it. It better not require rebuilding.

Some may feel i got screwed but at least i can now ride my bike.:thumbsup:

I priced out a shock rod at $200. Another $50 or so for rebuilding it. I figured for an extra $50 was reasonable.

I have found shocks around for $200 but same thing here, after rebuilding it you are at around $250+.

The one i got wont require rebuilding it. It better not require rebuilding.

Some may feel i got screwed but at least i can now ride my bike.:thumbsup:

No, not at all. That was not my intention in noting it. The middle men are taking over ebay now. Hardly any of the parts stuff is individuals selling their one example of the part. When there IS, then you still get the deals. When there isn't, as with xr wheels right now, then you have to choose. And if you need the part, it's that or new. It's still a lot cheaper than new from the dealer, as you note.

If a month from now I haven't found a wheel or hub for what I consider a reasonable price, I'm going to have to consider buying one for $300 versus $500 to have one built or $650 from a dealer for new.

:lol:

But I'm lucky and don't need the wheel to ride, just for a swingarm swap, so I can wait for someone here or elsehwhere hopefully.

But I'm lucky and don't need the wheel to ride, just for a swingarm swap, so I can wait for someone here or elsehwhere hopefully.

That's great that you have some time to do some shoping around. Im sure some thing will come your way.

I stated this earlier but had no responces so i will try one last time.

Is it worth my time and effort to try and sell my old shock? I damaged the rod taking the nut off the end so every thing else is in great shape.

whoa...dont mean to go off subject here. but mindblower your doing a swingarm swap?? where can i find details on that!