xr650r in the trails

i currently ride a xr400 and really like it, i recently saw a xr650r on craigslist and was thinking it would be a nice second bike. how do the 2 compare? dry weight the 650 shows 22lbs heavier. am i going to notice that in the trails? i live in florida and enjoy pretty tight trails that are really sandy. the 400 does a great job, but theres always room for more power!

The 650 will be harder to control in the singletrack for sure. The 650 needs room to run, and boy does it. Sounds to me like you probably already have the best bike for the job. A friend of mine has won various hare scrambles on an XR250. Power won't always make you faster. I look forward to the day I get a bike that is 100 pounds lighter, not heavier.

On the other hand, I'm 100% sure that you would love the bigger bike because it is easily one of the best bikes ever made. Don't go selling that XR400 too soon whatever you decide.

i came from riding a xr400 and went to a xr650r. i could definitely tell the difference in weight. one thing of advise would be to set the race sag on the 650 or any bike for that matter. made the 650 turn a lot easier and made the bike feel 20+ lbs lighter.

first time i had ever set the sag on a dirt bike in the 20+ years i have been riding or the 10+ dirt bikes i have owned. its a free adjustment too that made the bike work 10 times better.

The 650 will be harder to control in the singletrack for sure. The 650 needs room to run, and boy does it. Sounds to me like you probably already have the best bike for the job. A friend of mine has won various hare scrambles on an XR250. Power won't always make you faster. I look forward to the day I get a bike that is 100 pounds lighter, not heavier.

On the other hand, I'm 100% sure that you would love the bigger bike because it is easily one of the best bikes ever made. Don't go selling that XR400 too soon whatever you decide.

I agree 100%... the XR650R can single track well but in tight sand they are not known for their nimble turning habits. As mentioned, setting the sag a little on the higher side will let them turn better as well as dropping the forks a little in the clamps to lower the front end.

The XR650R can get the job done in the tight stuff, although you better be in shape. Like others said there not the greatest turning bikes and tend to wash out unless you can really keep your weight back and stay on the gas to power turn the beast.

The power is nice but you won't even use 1/10th of it in the woods, when i used to ride my pig on gnarly single track with 13,50 gearing, I almost never left 2nd. The only thing i REALLY liked about my XRR in the woods was its ability to lug really low without stalling out or pulling the clutch.

i currently ride a xr400 and really like it, i recently saw a xr650r on craigslist and was thinking it would be a nice second bike. how do the 2 compare? dry weight the 650 shows 22lbs heavier. am i going to notice that in the trails? i live in florida and enjoy pretty tight trails that are really sandy. the 400 does a great job, but theres always room for more power!

I'd been riding :ride:all kind of bikes, (CR125R, XR250R, CR250R, XR600R, YZ426F, CRF450X, KTM450, XR650L and I consider myself a XR's lover, but...... like ''XRToecutter'' said... if u want to ride on a XR650R, and U R no more than 5' 10'' and 180lbs, :banghead:you most be in a GOOOd shape to ride the Beast..... rather than that U better switch to a CRF450X and U will love it... the light weight + power = awesome handling on any terrain...