Trials tire question...

Greetings!

I've searched here and in the DR-Z400 forum and haven't found an answer to my question.

I need tires for my DR-Z, I going to try a trials tire on the rear for sure, probably a Dunlop D803. I haven't seen any talk about trials tires on the front though. Are most people using trials on the rear only, and staying with a knobby on the front?

The Bridgestone rear knobby that came with my bike is getting to the point where I need to think about a replacement. As many have said they have had better luck with trials tires in my kind of conditions and riding (woods riding, technical trails, loose dirt, some mud, rocks, downed trees, roots, etc.) I was thinking of getting a trials tire. My dealer recommends the Dunlop 803 as the best in his opinion (it was what he ran on his Christini). Problem is, he had no experience with it on pavement - having ridden it only off-road.

My problem is that I don't have a job, so no truck to haul the bike. That means I ride on pavement at least 15 miles to trails - each way. I usually pump up the tires before leaving, then deflate them once I get there. I run about 8 to 10 PSI and it makes a big difference. I then ride it back at that pressure - but I am careful. No problems yet.

My concern is about how this tire handles on pavement at traffic speeds (I must travel on a highway for about 5 miles at about 65 MPH), and even more - about wear. I have looked at these tires and their sidewalls are very flexy and the rubber very soft. If the tire is run at 20 to 25 PSI on pavement, and I don't hotrod it, would the tire last?

Thanks for any feedback.

Go for the Pirelli MT43 Trials tire. It is a DOT tire so it should be fine for pavement also.:banana:

Feedback on that tire is that it is not very good for the trail. It doesn't do me any good to get a tire that is good on pavement but sucks off-road. I don't need it to be brilliant on pavement, or last for 3K miles, I just don't want it to wear out after 300 miles which would be about six rides for me. If it lasts 1K miles and is safe for the road, that is good enough. The knobby I am running now is not DOT. I don't worry about it.

Pirelli will work fine offroad. Maybe not quite as good as a Dunlop or Michelin, but will perform waaay better than any DOT knobbie offroad.

The one thing I would suggest for dual sport usage and getting the most out of it for both on and off road, would be a small tire pump. I'm pretty sure that the 8-10lbs required off road wouldn't be too stable on road. Ride to the trail head on your street pressure, let it down for the dirt world, then air it back up for the ride home. You can get some very efficient mini pumps from any bicycle store that will fit in your back/fanny pack.

My buddys that I ride with swear on the dunlop D803 on the rear with a kenda washougal front combo.... They say having the trials out back is like cheating, just like velcro on wet logs and rocks. I have never heard of anyone putting a trials tire up front on anything but a trials bike. Good luck!! I'll be right there with ya when I decide I can deal with that ugly tire out back!!

I have been told that the two big advantages of trials tires are:

1) Flexible sidewall that results in a larger contact patch at proper trail pressures.

2) Softer rubber.

My understanding is that the DOT trials tires have a much less flexible sidewall for the street, and that the rubber is not as soft.

I did recently ride a Husaberg just like mine with a trials tire on the rear. But I don't know which tire it was or what pressure he was running (I suspect more than he needed). It was no worse than my knobby in the mud, at least not to a noticeable amount. I need more experience with such a tire on my bike than just a few minutes.

Feedback on that tire is that it is not very good for the trail. It doesn't do me any good to get a tire that is good on pavement but sucks off-road. I don't need it to be brilliant on pavement, or last for 3K miles, I just don't want it to wear out after 300 miles which would be about six rides for me. If it lasts 1K miles and is safe for the road, that is good enough. The knobby I am running now is not DOT. I don't worry about it.

Disagree, and very strongly too! The MT43 is excellent off-road! As an added bonus, it is the ONLY trials tire that will hold up to any amount of highway riding. The others will start chunking knobs off in no time on the street. Whoever gave you that "feedback" has never used one.

Disagree, and very strongly too! The MT43 is excellent off-road! As an added bonus, it is the ONLY trials tire that will hold up to any amount of highway riding. The others will start chunking knobs off in no time on the street. Whoever gave you that "feedback" has never used one.

I believe he used them, or rode with people who did, but not on the pavement, which he stated as a caveat because he knew I would. He rides off-road only.

That was his concern and mine - is that a dedicated trials tire like the Dunlop 803 would not last long on the pavement. I only ride pavement to get to the trails on my Hussy, but since I am not going to buy a pickup until I find a job, then I must have something that isn't going to self-destruct on the pavement either.

Wow! Is this a thread jacking or what??!! 🙂

Yeah, it happens.🤣

No, trials tires don't work well on the front due to a lack of cornering grip and casing roll. Trials tires are somewhat lacking in rear cornering grip (think flat, fast corners) too. Their main forte' on the rear is forward motion in hard, slick conditions. They will give enough side grip to do for most trail riding and some lower class racing. The cornering short coming is a lot of the reason why you don't see them much in A, AA, and Pro level racing.

Up front where other than braking, cornering is everything, the lack of side grip (look at the upright tread pattern of a TT and you'll get the idea), and the somewhat wallowy casing, pretty much makes them a bad candidate for a front tire.

I use a D803, and a D756 on the front. Works quite well for me.👍