What are your opinions on powder coating?

I am thinking about powder coating my rims, spokes, hubs, and a few other parts on my 2007 crf250r. I have done a lot of reading on here about powdercoating but I still have a few questions. Will powder coating make the rims, hubs, and everthing else weaker? What does it mean to lace and unlace the wheels? Also, how easy is it to do? I was thinking about doing it and buying the eastwood powdercoating gun. Thanks for any help.:banana:

Lacing wheels means installing the spokes...trueing the wheels! If you want the spokes to be coated leave them in place however, if you ever have to adjust them you'll have to "break the seal" causing the coating to crack...Removing them and having them coated seperately would be my suggestion however, you must mask all the threads on the spokes, hub and wheel...a very long and tedious pocess! You'll have to mask any of the bores/holes in the hub that shouldn't have coating either.

i called a guy about powder coating and he told me i would have to get a good seal to cover the holes. you could if you left it all intaced. but it would be a pain to breck the coat of paint to toreque the spokes after. i wouldnt mess with it but it is a cheap way to get the color with out paying sky high for new rims and hubs.

Anodize any aluminum parts you want colored, not powdercoat. I presonally think doing anything to color your rims is a waste of time and will eventually make the rim look worse once it gets all scratched up in the first hour of riding and every time you need to change a tube.

Anodize any aluminum parts you want colored, not powdercoat. I presonally think doing anything to color your rims is a waste of time and will eventually make the rim look worse once it gets all scratched up in the first hour of riding and every time you need to change a tube.

What does anodize do? Would I be able to do it myself? And will it weaken the parts at all? Thanks woods rider

I can't see that either process will weaken the parts. What would be tough would be hanging each spoke somehow in the oven to bake.

Ya that would be hard to do if I wanted to do the spokes which I would like to do red if I ever decide to do it.

you wont do any damage to any parts. only things you can powder coat are metal, no plastics etc

Be sure to mask any areas you don't want coated like threads...lots of holes in both rims and hubs as the spoke ends...

Search other threads on powder coating and anodizing...you'll find a lot of info........good and bad!!!!!!!!!

I powder coated my rims and hubs on my 07 crf 450 and they held up great. they looked as good after a year then any other anodized rim. But the only reason i did it was a friend opened up a powder coating shop and wanted to try. they looked so good until i put to strong of a cleaner on them and it ate the shine. they still look good tho. all we did was pulled the rims from the hub. did not plug the spoke holes. same with hubs. we stuck heat resistant foam into the bearing holes (Removed bearings) and they turned out. after lacing rims and torquing. Rode hard retorqued and never had a issue. take a look in my garage under 07crf450 but then look at the 2010crf450 I just got the new factory effex wheels. nice f`n wheels.

I am thinking about powder coating my rims, spokes, hubs, and a few other parts on my 2007 crf250r. I have done a lot of reading on here about powdercoating but I still have a few questions. Will powder coating make the rims, hubs, and everthing else weaker? What does it mean to lace and unlace the wheels? Also, how easy is it to do? I was thinking about doing it and buying the eastwood powdercoating gun. Thanks for any help.­čĹŹ

Here you go...Larry

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852395&highlight=polished+nipples

I wouldn't recommend powder coating anything flexible such as rims & spokes. Powder coating is strong but brittle so when it does come away from the surface it does so in chunks. You'd be surprised how much your rims & spokes flex.

I've only really heard of people powder coating hubs & frames. I can't see what else you'd want to powder coat.

I wouldn't recommend powder coating anything flexible such as rims & spokes. Powder coating is strong but brittle so when it does come away from the surface it does so in chunks. You'd be surprised how much your rims & spokes flex.

I've only really heard of people powder coating hubs & frames. I can't see what else you'd want to powder coat.

Powdercoat is VERY flexible. it only flakes off if the prep work wasn't done correctly causing the coating to not stick to the metal. Just like regular paint.

I have coated a few shock springs with 0 issues. To test PC's flexibility, I coated a thin gauge of metal, then once cured, I bent it 180 degree's and it didn't flake, it just had white stretch marks where the bend was.

Fair enough. To be honest my experience with it is limited. I'm only going by what I was told by people who've had things powder coated.

I would have thought it would lose it's flexibility in the baking process. It's known for being a very hard skin. With hardness comes brittleness & I have seen it come away in chunks but you may be right, it could've been due to poor prep work.

Powder coat hubs.

Buy stainless spokes.

Buy anodized rims.

Powdercoating rims is a sub-par finish. Powder coating is an electro-charged paint that is baked to cure. It does not weaken parts. It is very hard though, and extremely difficult to remove, but does chip and scratch over time. Sandblasting it is even difficult, so anything powdercoated is almost impossible to re-finish. I've done a lot of bike restorations and always used automotive acrylic enamel for the frames. I would have the frame sandblasted by a professional blasting house, and then prime and paint them. They can be sanded by hand for touch-up, and re-shot. A powdercoating shop will have a minimum charge, and you can buy new rims for not much more. WARP9's are $178 for a pair, shipped, no tax.

Anodizing is a electrolisis dye-treatment for aluminum. It becomes part of the surface of the item. Read here for more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

If you don't know what lacing a rim is, have someone help you the first time around or you'll have a mess and or broken parts. If your wheels are aged at all the spoke nipples are probably corroded enough to warrant replacement. They can be very difficult to remove and replace of there is corrosion. I have done wheels where we just cut all the old spoke off, replace with new.

Buchannan's is s a great source for wheel products and will do the setups for you as well.

I have powder coated two sets of wheels and hubs...and other small parts. It has held up very well with the exception of hitting rocks. I have had a few chips in the wheels while riding in places with many rocks such as the Rocky Mountains and Moab. It worked well enough with the first bike that I did it on another.

CAMM