Help for a New DRZ400s Owner

Hi there. Lots of good information on this site...maybe TOO much! I have spent hours looking over information on oil typle sand Clarke Vs. IMS tanks and STILL have no idea what to do!!

Anyway, I am breaking my 2009 in this weekend. Should I be doing all the loctite procedures before I break it in? Are the loose nuts an issue with the 2009 models?

Anything else I should look at before breaking it in? I will use the Motoman method with Rotella 15-40 for the first few changes.

Also, some people are saying to ride it for a few minutes, let it cool, repeat. I was planning on riding it fairly hard (after a good warm up) for 25 miles or so and then change the oil.

I think I am worrying too much about this. Please...someone set me straight!

Finally, do the 2009 still need the MCCT, or has the ACCT been fixed up on the newest models?

Thanks.

Edited by Mr. C

:ride:You can do the fixes after you brek it in,wait till at least monday,i would enjoy it this weekend,on the oil-do the change at 50-100 miles,then again at another 100-150,yes go ahead and do 5 cold to hot cycles.this is going to be a great weekend in ny weather wise.get some good ridding in,:banana::ride:?:banana:

Do I do those hot cold cycles all within the first 50 miles? Also, do I need to do them one after another in the same day? I figure cold is cold (no matter if it sits for an hour or a day) but I am new to all of this.

thanks.?

Do the mototune method, it all happens in the first 20mi. anyway, more or less. After that just ride it till your a$$ gets sore, stop have lunch, ride again, have supper, change oil. That's as much as I would obsess over it. Maybe do a short interval before the next oil change. Then your golden. Oh, but start reading about doing a valve gap/lash check.

I just ordered the JD kit, extended fuel screw, MCCT, skid plate, and rad guards.

That should cover it for now! It doesn't take long to farkle the heck out of a new bike, does it! I am now off to the garage to strip out the safety switches.

Thanks for all the help. Great forum!?

I just ordered the JD kit, extended fuel screw, MCCT, skid plate, and rad guards.

That should cover it for now! It doesn't take long to farkle the heck out of a new bike, does it! I am now off to the garage to strip out the safety switches.

Thanks for all the help. Great forum!?

What about case guards? Can't forget those. ?

I'm in the same boat, picked up a new 2009 today...

DRZ400s-med.jpg