Sign in to follow this  

Non Starting RMX250

Hi all, Im new to the forum so im not exactly sure this is right place for this post.. Im sure someone will correct me if so🤣

Anyway I just got a new RMX250, '00 model. Its in good overall condition but as I haven't got my full license yet, its been sitting around a while (couple of months now).

I start it up every week or so and rev it up and get the engine warm then put it away again. Its been in my house thats being refurbished and its been a bit dusty.. I started it the other day, all looking good and noticed the headlight wouldn't work. I left it ticking over with the choke on and went to make a cup o tea. It stalled, which is normal IMO. I tried to start it again with no joy and then noticed that the carb was constantly leaking fuel out the overflow.

Next day, I cleaned all the crap out of the carb and assumed it would start - it didn't (But no more fuel leak).

I checked the plug and it wasn't firing. I checked the engine cut off switch and it was OK, also ignition was on.

I guess the next thing to do is to clean up the earthing of all electric components. I started doing this and was unable to remove the ignition coil as it has a screw with a mashed head and is stuck fast.

Is there any way to test the earthing without removing that particular component? I have a ammeter.

Thanks for your help :banana::banana:

Hi mate, I have had a similar problem on my '98 RMX recently. I traced it to a big pink 20 pin bridging plug behind the headlight. It connects all your lives and earth wires from around the bike, instead of using a terminal strip. Its contacting surfaces regularly corrode leading to poor connections and no spark. Common issue with this bike.

I chopped all plug wires and soldered the same colours together, works a treat now.

My bike is an Australian model so Im not sure that a UK model will be the same, the US models dont have this plug. Good luck:thumbsup: