Sign in to follow this  

how to get coolant out of oil?

so i had a coolant leak in my 04 yz250f threw my head gaskget and it filled my engine with coolant. I fixed it andf put the bike back together but now after running 5 quarts of oil threw it the oil is still coming out greenish. not as dark but still with a greenish tint. I know its not leaking coolant because i check it and it stays the same level in the rad. i flush it by putting a quart of oil in and running for 30 seconds, draining, repeat. any help is appreciated

That's pretty much all you can do, assuming that you're not still leaking coolant into the oil. Mathematically speaking, five (5) oil changes will flush any residual coolant to the point of insignificance, but you have to run the bike long enough to emulsify the coolant into the oil. If you really want to be sure that you're not leaking coolant, put some UV dye in the coolant and check your oil before and after a ride.

I think that kerosene disperses and drys out water so to speak. I think it may cause it to float to the top. So, if your bike has an oil check bolt I would just first drain the oil and then slowly pour kerosene or diesel into the gearbox with the check bolt removed (and drain bolt replaced of course). That should get the coolant to float to the top and weep out the check bolt. That will cover most of the gear box but not all. :banana:

Once done with that, drain it and re-fill with Rotella or approved equivalent for a most excellent lubricating situation.🤣

so how long should i run it before each oil change
Until the oil is hot. It doesn't need to be scorching. Drain the oil fairly soon after shutting down the engine and the oil has drained back out of the head so that most of the emulsified coolant will still be in the oil. As long as the oil isn't milky after a ride, then it's "good enough" imo.

Only liquids with a specific gravity > 1 will cause water to "float". Green coolant (EG) is about 1.12 so pretty much nothing lighter than R-12 will float it. :banana:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-gravity-liquids-d_336.html

(and, of course, the oil will still be on top of that...)

So, Kerosene and most petroleum distillates will not cause water or coolant to float off the bottom of the crankcase/gearbox. Hygroscopic products like ethanol (or the stuff you pour in your gas tank to get the water out of fuel) will grab the water (kerosene isn't hygroscopic), but you'd have to use a lot of ethanol to get the ethanol/water mixture to float on the oil, but then you have to get that new contaminant out of the oil as well (the five-changes rule still applies).

Fwiw, Shrubitup's way might work just fine, but I can't speak for it since I've never tried it.

Edited by davidl9999

Fwiw, Shrubitup's way might work just fine, but I can't speak for it since I've never tried it.

And neither have I that's why I said that it may work. It may not. YMMV. I personally think it will help but cannot say conclusively that it will. :banana:

Ride it, change it, ride it, change it, repeat until you feel OK with your last oil change, no cloudiness. Majority of the water will steam out of the vent the first ride when the engine is good and hot. Don't do a 100 milers on your first ride. :banana:

i flush it by putting a quart of oil in and running for 30 seconds, draining, repeat. any help is appreciated

when you repeat are you using new oil or the oil you just drained?