Sign in to follow this  

Years to stay away from???

Hey guy's, I have a buddy that's looking into buying a 450 Honda. My question is are there better years than others as far as valves and motor issues?, if so which years should he stay away from?

Thanks.

Supposedly, the valve issues were improved in '06 so I guess I would go with an '06 or newer 450. Having said that, I never had any issues with my '02 or '03 though some had cam chain tensioner problems. If I had one of those today, I'd put a manual CCT on it.

Both the '02 and the '03 could have used a different offset triple clamp. I think they pulled the axle back 2mm in '05 and that helped.

My pleasure. Personally, if I were buying used, I'd go with a clean '06-'07. I didn't like the 22mm triple clamps/HPSD on my '08 and went with 24mm clamps from the previous years. BIG improvement! The 3-stage ignition mapping is sweet on the '08 though.

Stay away from the '09. I've read on this here interweb it's the worst bike of all time.

Correction, second only to the 1984 Honda CR500R "Ping-King". :lol::banana: J/K

Stay away from the '09. I've read on this here interweb it's the worst bike of all time.

I read the same thing.:banana:

Yes I have an 03 and cam tensioner went. I was lucky I cought it in time. I put on a MCCT. And also yes you could not give me an 09, Wait I will take it and sell it for a different bike,LOL. Prices are so cheap now I personally would get an 07 or 08.

I read the same thing.:thumbsup:

I've read that too. Somehow my reality differs.

Hmmm My reality is different as well. A small investment in springs and the bike has been great.

My research pointed towards an 07 but I bought an 06 because they were more available and affordable for me at the time. I have zero complaints about my 06.