Sign in to follow this  

82 and 83 xr200 help. For the kids.

A young kid got two free xr200 a 82 and 83. He was told that they have been sitting for 3 years. But when they were put away they did run. I was able to get the 83 running with a carb cleaning, fresh gas and new hoses. Once running I could hear the valve are loose. Can someone tell me what the valve clearance is on these two bikes? I know he should get a service book. But I am trying to save the kid money he's only 13. Thanks Ben

First thing is to change the oil before you run them any more. Second don't go over 10 hours without changing the oil, also remove the filter screen and clen/inspect it at every oil change. I use Shell Rotello T from Walmart, cheap and convenient plus it seems to hold up better to heat than the Honda oil. I tried a motorcycle synthetic yesterday and when the engine got hot the transmission became difficult to shift, after slower running it started shifting again. Only four hours run time; I'm going back to Shell Rotello T.

Valve clearance is .002 & .003. Also retension the timing chain, engine idling loosen the small bolt on the top of the tranny behind the cylinder, and retighen. I sometimes need to do this several times to quiet the chain.