Question about electronic tach.

My bike came with an Acewell cycle computer which wouldn't have been my first choice but it seems to do everything OK. The problem is the tach was never connected. I found the lead for the input an jury rigged a wire from the plug and it picked up the signal and seems to work perfectly. My question is what is the correct way to run a lead to the plug? Is something supposed to wrap around the plug wire or does there need to be a ring under between the plug and cyl head to the lead or???? I've never hooked one up before and the bike didn't come with any extra mystery wiring.

Any advice much appreciated.

My bike came with an Acewell cycle computer which wouldn't have been my first choice but it seems to do everything OK. The problem is the tach was never connected. I found the lead for the input an jury rigged a wire from the plug and it picked up the signal and seems to work perfectly. My question is what is the correct way to run a lead to the plug? Is something supposed to wrap around the plug wire or does there need to be a ring under between the plug and cyl head to the lead or???? I've never hooked one up before and the bike didn't come with any extra mystery wiring.

Since the DR650 has no usable tach pulse info coming out of the stock CDI you really have no choice (at least that I'm aware of) but to use the high tension coil wire EMF for your tach signal. Do a prettier job of wrapping your high tension lead so it won't looked quite so rigged. 👍

Most modern tach are rigged by simply wrapping the signal wire around the plug cable. Trailtech's Vapor works that way too.

👍:ride:🤣

Thanks guys. I fiddled with it last night. I got a plain jane black coated copper core electrical wire and wrapped around the plug wire abour 8 times and held it there with electrical tap. Seems to work fine. I just wish I had the wire that came with the unit,

Most modern tach are rigged by simply wrapping the signal wire around the plug cable. Trailtech's Vapor works that way too.

🤣:ride:🙂

The Vapor instructions also say you can hook the tach wire to the coil.

I forgot if it's + or - side of the coil but that's the way I have my Vapor set up on my Honda XL. 👍