turn tech upgrade

I bought a turn tech early in the winter. It sat on my desk for a few months in the box it shipped in. I finally got a chance to install it. It fit nice and the bike fired right up. No charging just blipped the button. So far I love this battery. Sorry about the crappy photo.

photo.jpg

Battery is here. I had to make some extension battery cables to make it work. I used some nice flexible wire for car stereo amps. The battery worked as expected. The 5 ah had no trouble to crank my 450 over cold. I had to crank it a few times to get it to start it seems like the Sunnoco race gas is not that good for cold starts. On pump gas it fires quickly cold, but the race gas seems to make it harder to start. My quess is that the race gas is not reformulated for cold weather like pump fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a Turn Tech 5ah & took it for its 1st ride this weekend...

Ok so I started by pulling the batt out of the box & it really is light! If your looking to loose 5-7 lbs high up this will do it. My old Yusa Lead Acid weighs in at 8lbs (according to the specks I can find) The Turn Tech is ~1lb.

Out of the box registered 13.3V. Installing was very snug, I had to remove the thin padding on the side of holding cage to get it to push down all the way. Also the way the terminals come out of the battery (and the bolts supplied) makes those points stick up just a little higher then they should. (( It would be nice if those terminals came directly out of the side of the battery about 1/4" down from what would be the top side when installed in a crfx ))I let it sit connected in my bike for about 5 days, & still had 13.3 before we went for a ride.

It was about 35 degrees out side and snowing when we started, so the bike was really cold. I hit the starter for about 8 seconds continuous (and it cranked over slightly slower then my lead acid would have) then I let up on the starter for about 3 seconds and tried again, this time it cranked faster and started the bike right up. (this was to be expected as explained on turntechs web site)

The battery performed flawlessly all day, Im extreemly happy with it. I needed a new battery anyways & for the difference in price this is a much better solution in my opnion.

Tested the battery after the ride and it showed 13.34V

Thanks Turn Tech!

alright boys, I got to do my first shake down. Buy the TurnTech! Tight trails, everyone's fans are on all day. Dead battery for one. I stalled like 10 times. Started in gear, fan on, with just a blip of the button. My old battery couldn't start in gear half the time. Buy the turntech. The battery was strong all day.

• 1 year later...

So a few years back I put a deeper battery box on my 04 525 MXC and started running the YTZ7S. My bike would still not start when cold with the majic button(only when warmed up) Surgery has had me off the bike for 2 1/2 years now. Even with the battery tender plugged in every few months is it time for a new battery. Is the TurnTech 5 going to fit? Is it going to be flopping around or is that only a problem with the 2.5?

Checked your valves recently? May just be out of spec causing it to be hard to start.

If you've got the auto-decomp, check the lever arm/spring on the cam.

Buddy punched out his 450 to 570 and it never started off the battery... cam bearing went out and that's when he saw the spring on the decomp lever wasn't attached. Bike spins over and starts fine after replacing the cam.

Bought the bike new in October 03. From day one it went from NCY to Baja Designs every other week, everybody pointing the finger at each other. 6 months later I gave up and said just give me my bike. They have checked everthing from stator to starter,top to bottom. The bike has always run great. 5 years worth of 2500- 3000 mile weekends to Baja. Sierras in CA to the deserts of Occotilla Wells. Every year valves adjusted once at the dealer. I bet it had 15,000 miles on it when I decided to have piston,rings,valves put in it at the dealer a year ago. It will be 20 degrees in baja in the morning and my buddies just hit the e-start on there KTM's. Me...just start kicking. It fires right up with the foot. I even run a battery tender.

So a few years back I put a deeper battery box on my 04 525 MXC and started running the YTZ7S. My bike would still not start when cold with the majic button(only when warmed up) Surgery has had me off the bike for 2 1/2 years now. Even with the battery tender plugged in every few months is it time for a new battery. Is the TurnTech 5 going to fit? Is it going to be flopping around or is that only a problem with the 2.5?

You can´t use a Battery Tender on the a TT battery. It will go onto "desulfate-mode and will not charge the battery but destroy it.

Battery tender made by Deltran does not have a desulfation mode and is safe for lithium batteries, according to Shorai.

This is correct. You can also use a cheapo 1 amp charger and have little risk of damaging from over charging too.

A lead acid battery in a month loses the same amount of charge that a LiPo loses in a year. However, if you have a parastatic drain (like some fancy electronc computer/speedo) it will kill a LiPo just like it did with a lead acid.

• 1 month later...

I just recieved my new TurnTech 5ah battery and it wont fit in my existing 2006 525 EXC battery box (too tall). I spoke to Turntech rep and they suggested replacing existing box with #78011055000 which is suposed to be deeper. . . . When I did an OEM parts search with that number it came up as being used in 2007 and newer bikes.

Anyone have any experiance replacing one of these and if so will the 07 part numb work??