Sign in to follow this  

Which way is easier?

Hello,

I want to purchase a DRZ so i can do 75-25 road-dirt riding. When i'm on the road i'd like to be using more of the SM wheels and tires and on the dirt i want to be using larger wheels and tires.

Is it easier to by a SM and fit up dirt wheels and tires to or is it easier to buy the dirt version and then add the SM wheels to it?

I don't know much about the brakes so i don't know what way is best. I really want to take one set of wheels off and place new ones on without messing around with the calipers on the forks.

Is the DRZ a good choice, or am i in need of a different bike?

thanks,

Its 6 and one. I went with the S b/c I got a great deal on it $5000 otd. With the $1200 I saved, it paid for most of my SM wheels tires tubes brakes and rotors ($1400). I am a big dude (350) and the S rotors do fine for me, I have a big Buddy (275) who can do 2 finger stoppies on mine. Some like the upside down forks ion the SM, they just take away ground clearance, the Showa units on the S aw fine units and all but the Burkharts of the world will do fine with them.

Also when offroad the S sized rotors are less likely to get dinged by rocks.

I'm sure there are SM owners who will say the opposite but black plastics get hacked up and ugly really easily offroad.

your mileage may vary.

Its 6 and one. I went with the S b/c I got a great deal on it $5000 otd. With the $1200 I saved, it paid for most of my SM wheels tires tubes brakes and rotors ($1400). I am a big dude (350) and the S rotors do fine for me, I have a big Buddy (275) who can do 2 finger stoppies on mine. Some like the upside down forks ion the SM, they just take away ground clearance, the Showa units on the S aw fine units and all but the Burkharts of the world will do fine with them.

Also when offroad the S sized rotors are less likely to get dinged by rocks.

I'm sure there are SM owners who will say the opposite but black plastics get hacked up and ugly really easily offroad.

your mileage may vary.

How does your bike do with the SM wheels on it? Does it handle good on the street?

thanks for your input, i really do appreciate it.

Craig

for you I would get a SM

but befor you go spending big money on offroad wheel try a set of avon distansas on the SM wheels furst

you may find that those tires will get you ware you would like to go in the durt with out changing wheels every time

I agree with Clive, it's cheaper to buy offroad wheels than SM wheels, as he says try the Distanzias too, a very popular tyre for people wanting to do the same as you.

for you I would get a SM

but befor you go spending big money on offroad wheel try a set of avon distansas on the SM wheels furst

you may find that those tires will get you ware you would like to go in the durt with out changing wheels every time

Thanks for the input, i took a look at those tires. I'll be doing a bit more aggressive off rode then that. I live in Portland Oregon and want to ride trails up in Browns Camp and Jones Creek.

Thanks again,

Craig

alot of guys in our area run sm 17" for mixed riding and when the true mud and trail duty starts we put the 21" up front.

alot of guys in our area run sm 17" for mixed riding and when the true mud and trail duty starts we put the 21" up front.

Are they starting with the SM bike then adding the 21 up front, or starting with the dirt version and making it into SM?

thanks.

I was wondering the same thing prior to purchasing my DRZ last year and I opted for the S model. I live in utah where I'll see some hairy trails, but in all practicality I'll be pounding the asphault more than slick rock, sand and mountain steeps.

I like the look of the sm forks better, but you can remedy the accordian look with a KTM fork conversion for about $50, plus you get more travel. The stock bars need to be replaced anyway, so you can opt for whatever look or feel you prefer.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with either model :ride:choice, but like others have stated, it's all about the tires you're running for the task at hand. It can get sketchy cornering with knobbies on the street and straight scary as hell off roading on slicks! Two sets of tire/rim combos are ideal for this versatile machine or a sigle set with trade-offs works well too. Best of luck.👍

or or or or

you can buy 2 used bikes for the price of 1 new bike

an SM and a S

that way you just swap your butt onto a diferent seat

or or or or

you can buy 2 used bikes for the price of 1 new bike

an sm and a s

that way you just swap your butt onto a diferent seat

i wish. Lol.

they start with the sm and add farkles as needed. when the wet riding starts, wich is ten months a year, we get the 21" front ready and throw it on when the going gets fun. If you want to look at a plated E on tubeless 17" tires pm me and let me know. I know of two factory sm's you can test drive that are for sale localy. one is rock stock and the other has been upgraded in every possible way.

they start with the sm and add farkles as needed. when the wet riding starts, wich is ten months a year, we get the 21" front ready and throw it on when the going gets fun. If you want to look at a plated E on tubeless 17" tires pm me and let me know. I know of two factory sm's you can test drive that are for sale localy. one is rock stock and the other has been upgraded in every possible way.

I sent you a pm. I'd love to see what you have.

Craig

How does your bike do with the SM wheels on it? Does it handle good on the street?

thanks for your input, i really do appreciate it.

Craig

It is an absolute BEAST on asphalt. It outrides me. I can lay it down till the pegs drag and it begs for more. It rides super smooth on the hiway and in dirt and mud the Michelin Pilots are better than the .

It is a completely different bike, like a DRZ on steroids. If you are doing more than 50% street riding you will want to consider sm wheels. Isaved for a year to afford them.