Sign in to follow this  

I seized my engine, crap

Went to dunes for first time with my 06crf450. Jetted for 2000 and I did not change my jetting. About 15 minutes into ride it started spitting and sputtering. Stopped, let it rest and headed for home but it did it again. Ran ok for a few minutes and cut out. Kept letting it rest but it seized up. Kick starter won't budge.

Spark plug looks ok, looked lean but no debris.

So, what am I looking at here? A bit concerned.

That sucks man, you won't know the extent of the damage till you open that motor up. I'm thinking atleast piston and rings and a re-hone. Open her up and hope for the best. Good luck!

tear it apart and see. AT LEAST pistons and rings. Hopefully no top end dammage. No way your jetting caused it to run lean enough to seize. I have my bike jetted for around 2600 ft. and I never change the jets when i ride at the dunes (which is all the time) and have never had a problem. Same bike 06 crf450

Why would you worry about jetting? This is a 4 stroke man with the engine lubricating oil in the case - NOT THE GAS

Sounds like you were on an old worn motor with old oil in the case

More than likely the crank seized up. Change your oil more often and use a better grade of oil

The bike is still new to me. I have had it 3 months and put about 10 hours on it. I've changed the oil 3 times and just changed it before this trip.

--how did it run before? hard to start? weak power? power surged?

--what do you mean by spitting and sputtering? a loud popping noise? when did it make this noise? during acceleration? holding throttle steady?

--any other things that might seem slightly odd about the bike?

It ran well, during the first 15 minutes I noticed nothing obvious about , it ran great. I stopped for 5 seconds and it died, thought that is weird. Started it back up and it started popping and sputtering, no power at all. Let it set for 10 minutes and it ran fine for 1 minute before doing it again. Thinking it was too hot for some reason I repeated this process trying to get back to camp when it seized.

Always started right up with hotstart. Ran great previous to this. Seems like it overheated, I checked coolant before and after and it looks good.

JJRace, you are right. I just tore it apart and its the crankshaft, rod is seized, will need to be replaced. So what am I looking at for a repair? I am inclined to hire this out as it may be out of my level of expertise.

My oil looked good but had some shavings on my oil filter. The cylinder, piston and rings look good.

Also, take a look at my valves and piston in the below pics, is this build up normal?

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Boody38

Also, what caused the rod to seize to the crank? Previous owner neglect?

Looks like $300 for a new rod and crank. Splitting cases however is the part that worries me, it's gonna cost a fortune to hire it out.

Yah you are looking at a few hundred dollars just to put the crank in and more like 500 or so if you want them to put the whole motor together. As long as your doing the crank, replace all the bearings to. Its really not that difficult to do but if your not mechanically inclined its best to shop it out.

I got sand in my engine! That is the cause of all my problems. I found some (very little) debris in the carb. I can't believe it, the filter was well oiled but lacked the bead of grease around the base. Live and learn.

I had a guy come by and tell me that my carb is shot too because any sand in it will cause scratches in the metal so it will need to be replaced???? Thoughts?

I got sand in my engine! That is the cause of all my problems. I found some (very little) debris in the carb. I can't believe it, the filter was well oiled but lacked the bead of grease around the base. Live and learn.

I had a guy come by and tell me that my carb is shot too because any sand in it will cause scratches in the metal so it will need to be replaced???? Thoughts?

If you pulled sand in, it won't be long before your intake valves go if they are still the stock Ti valves. I would think that you would see evidence of sand making its way past the piston to get to the rod.

Sorry about your luck. A friend of mine swamped his bike in a water hole at the dunes and ended up getting sand in through a vent hose. The main bearings lasted about 15 minutes after that.