Aprilia RXV 4.5 vs. KTM EXC 450

So apparently I am anti-Japanese?

I like the CRF450x too, but does anybody know about the Aprilia and the KTM?

Primary purpose is off-road use but also to be street legal in CA. Both seem like really great bikes (depending on which review you read) so do you have experience and/or expertise in this area?

Thanks for any feedback!

SoCal Dave

Everytime I ride my Aprilia I love it more and more. Get an 08 or newer (or 07 rebuilt to 08 specs or a new 07 and rebuild it to 08 specs and save some money) and roost away. I've written plenty in the exotics forum about my experience, please do a search there.

In the meantime, I am just going to sit back and let the forum experts that have never ridden an Aprilia, but heard about it from so and so, tell you what a POS they are.

Good luck with your decision, both are good bikes. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you buy. Although when you're deciding know that the Aprilia comes with a 3.2 gal tank, radiator fan, overflow bottle, and a very usable headlight but still retails for less than a KTM. Did I mention that the power of the RXV450 is greater than the KTM510? Even with the stock pipe.

Aprilia's really have more power than a 510? I can't say I knew that. Anyway, What about Husky or Husaberg? My 07 TE 450 absolutely rips through the trails and does alright on the road too.

Husabergs are meant to be one of the greatest dirt bikes around right now, Although i haven't ridden one.

One downside of the apilia, is that (sorry if im wrong) when you need to do a topend, which is infact 2 top ends then it will cost double the price, whereas any other offroad bike, be it japanese or european has only one top end.

Just a thought.

Yeah, I thought about the fact that there are 2 top ends on the Aprilia.

From what I understand, the V-twin would be less maintenance and go for a longer period of time (assuming it was taken care of) before any major work was to be done on it.

I like that because there are a lot fewer dealers in town and the parts are more expensive and aftermarket parts are not as readily available as with other manufacturers.

Any idea on recommended service intervals versus other bikes?

Aprilia's really have more power than a 510? I can't say I knew that. Anyway, What about Husky or Husaberg? My 07 TE 450 absolutely rips through the trails and does alright on the road too.

Husabergs are meant to be one of the greatest dirt bikes around right now, Although i haven't ridden one.

One downside of the apilia, is that (sorry if im wrong) when you need to do a topend, which is infact 2 top ends then it will cost double the price, whereas any other offroad bike, be it japanese or european has only one top end.

Just a thought.

The 550 I rode had considerably more power than my 570 on any mapping. More like a very healthy 650 or more. I am given to understand that considerably more can be had with mods.

Personally, I don't think you need that kind of power off-road, especially for the kind of technical trails I ride - my Hussy gives me all I need in that regard. If you were riding in more open areas, dunes, snowbike, etc., then the power can be used. It depends on how you ride and where you ride. I like technical trails and open areas are just for getting from one trail to another. YMMV.

Edited by CodeMonkee