Sign in to follow this  

Torn Miniscus?

I was told the other day by my doctor that i have a torn miniscus.Has anybody on here had this problem?How long before you could ride again? Thanks a lot for any input. Mark...

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=377898

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=369662

I had torn my medial meniscus in Sept. last year, had repair surgery in Jan this year.

After weeks of muscle wastage, gym work and walking I only became confident enough to start riding again last weekend for about 30 mins. I tested it by standing on pegs bearing my weight - I would say I am about 80% there and still not ready to over exert my left knee at this stage...

But, getting there...

Good luck.

Byte

My wife had her surgery 3 weeks ago and she's just starting to walk without crutches...in small amounts. They said 4-6 weeks....YEAH RIGHT!

I tore mine but at the same time my ACL was also torn. So given that, the meniscus was the last thing I would notice. But I think that was what was causing my knee to be so sore when I would straighten. However I was able to straighten it in a couple of weeks without it hurting much if that helps you.

EDIT: I can't remember if the doctor said my meniscus was completely torn or partially torn. But either way it was torn some.

Well if you in CT I strongly suggest that you go see Dr. Micheal Joyce in Glastonbury, CT. He's one of the best orthopedic surgeons in New England. He treats a tremendous amount of sports injuries. My wife was told she had a torn menicus but he discovered she had a partially torn ACL as well. Saved her a lot of pain and suffering. It really doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. Torn cartilage isn't that bad to rehab. Strengthen the quads and don't forget to get the flexibility back (stretch...stretch....stretch).

Mine only caused pain with certain movements....more of annoyance than a hinderance. I didn't ride at the time and got the tear from playing pickup basketball. The doctor told me it would heal itself but it would take some time. It took a couple of months but the pain finally went away by itself....no surgery required.

So I have had 6 knee surgeries, all with an orthoscope - including 3 miniscuses (miniscii?)

anyway if thats all it is - they go in and trim off the torn part - and you should roll out of the surgery center as soon as you wake up - and if you have an aggresive sports med Dr - you willl start rehabbing immediately like that night doing range of motion).

best case i was riding a bike in 4 days and playing basketball in 3 weeks - worst case 6 weeks to full not knowing anything was wrong. (never spent more that 36 hours on crutches - started immediately trying to walk slowly with proper form so as to not develop a limp or imbalance. I usually had to have the thing drained once or twice during rehab (takes 10 minutes - he puts in a needle into the swollen knee and pulls out a bunch of bloddy straw colored liquid - thats when you know you are doing good!) because I pushed it pretty hard - but once it is done - you can't hurt aznything - so it comes down to how much pain you are willing to bear - and how hard you want to work at your rehab.

If he wants to shave the inside of the patella and clean up some collateral damage then you are looking at 6 weeks to 2 months.

Carl Johansson

I have had partial tears in both meniscus in both knees for many years. It seems skiing or hiking downhill was the worst thing for me, so I quit doing that. For the most part, riding doesn't hurt, though. No surgery and my knees feel better than they did a few years ago 👍

Thanks guys for all your input.I am in Glastonbury Ct. and i will get a second opinion Monday.Had an MRI,and you can see the tear on the dvd.The pain is constant and won't even let me sleep.C'mon monday! I love this site! Mark...

good luck with everything. If you do end up seeing Dr. Joyce some times they will schedule an appointment with the Physician Assisstant, Eric (don't remember his last name) first. Don't let that put you off. He's pretty sharp as well. He kind of checks things out first and then calls in the doctor. There are plenty of good doctors in the Hartford area if you have another doctor that suites you. Sorry to hear about the constant pain. That sucks!