Sign in to follow this  

high reving and super hot exhaust.!!

ok so heres my problem... i just rebuilt my bike this winter and brought her outside to start it. it fired up on the 3rd kick, but started to rev really high. so i shut it off and in 5 minutes i fired it up and it was reving really high again but i let it run for 5 mintues to see it stuff just had to seat into place and then calm down. well it didnt so i shut it off. i then reached down to see there was carbon and crap flying out of the exhaust hole were it meets the motor. i went and ordered a spring and oring kit for it so that will be fixed. now the other problem is with in that 5 minutes of running i touched the pipe and it was smoking hot!! i cleared the lines in the coolant but was still smoking hot! is this normal or that fact that the bike is running a little rich??? any help would be great! thanks alot guys!

High revving and hot = lean.

+1

If you didn't touch the carb then you have an air leak.

no i didnt touch the carb. and i think my head nuts arnt torqued all the way(old torque wrench).

ok so i got my new oring and springs for the pipe and checked all the head nuts. then i fired her up and it idled normally. i gave it a shot of throttle and let go and it started to rev a little high but nothing like it did before. i took it for a boot up and down the street and it seemed to run fine, i would pull in the clucth and it would rev a little high again? is this just because my new top end is brand new and needs to break in? and 1 other thing the pipe is still smoking hot after a 10 minute rip is that normal? to tell you the truth ive never touch my pipe on any of my bikes lol and i have been riding for 5 years. so i have no idea how hot they normally get. thanks guys for the replys.

Ok, you did a new top end. One small thing, did you adjust your idle screw back down? Also did you clean the carb and get rid of the old gas after all winter?

no i didnt touch the ilde screw, and i didnt touch the carb.. should i clean the carb and if i didnt touch the idle screw why would i need to turn it down from last year? jw. should i turn it down.

Clean the carb, put in fresh gas, same ratio you ran before (that is important) and then go through the idle adjustment procedure.