Sign in to follow this  

Carb rebuild quetion.

I'm posting this here, because I know the DRZ and the z400 qad have the same motor, so I hope the carbs are pretty similar. I'm also hoping it'll get more traffic.

Took the carb apart on my recently purchased 2003 z400. It had been sitting for a few years, so I knew it would need a good once over.

No surprise, it was pretty gunked up, so I removed the jets and soaked and cleaned them.

I did not clean the pilot screw, honestly because I didn't see it. After looking at a manual online, I found that its behind a plug that you have to drill out.

The quad won't start and I know that pilot screw needs to be addressed. My question is, how important is it to put a plug back in there?

Also, if I get a rebuild kit, will it come with a new plug?

thanks!

Drill a small hole in the brass plug, screw a small screw in the hole and twist and pull...wala! You do not need to replace the plug, it is just there to keep you from touching it.

Drill a small hole in the brass plug, screw a small screw in the hole and twist and pull...wala! You do not need to replace the plug, it is just there to keep you from touching it.

thats what I though, I just wasn't sure

Pulled the carb and cleaned it, it had a lot of gunk in it. Later went back and pulled and cleaned the pilot needle, and put it back in, and set it to 2.5 turns out.

getting spark, but still no start.

Any thoughts?

houd I buy the carb rebuild kit?

make sure that all of the fuel hoses are put back ON, as it is very eary to forget one or miss one, sounds like its not getting fuel.

make sure that all of the fuel hoses are put back ON, as it is very eary to forget one or miss one, sounds like its not getting fuel.

there's just the main one from the petcock to the carb, and then the vent from to carb to the petcock right?

the other vent line coming off the carb is open air correct?

check the float height

with the float all the way down? what should it be? 1/2"?

I went ahead and ordered the carb rebuild kit, that should come with a new float needle thing

Also it'll give a small back fire everynow and then while trying to start.

I've checked spark, all good

there's at least some compression, per the highly calibrated finger over the spark plug opening test.

still no start.

interestingly enough, it won't even fire over with starter fluid

the more I search and read, the more its looking like the valves are the problem.

I'll try to to pull it apart and check them this week.

any last words / advice?