water pump gear alignment-HELP

98 rm250-is there a specific place the gear needs to be aligned when re-assembled. i put my clutch side back together, rode about 3 minutes, put the hammer down, and it started screaming. innitially i thought a bolt poped out of my inner hub seeing as i needed to re-tap it due to snapping one off in the hub(rage),anyway,pulled it off and to my suprise it was intact.looked around and saw some scoring on the water pump gear.now does the gear sit free floating, or tooth-to-tooth with the other gears? any help is appreciated,thanks

There is no specific timing that you need to do with the pump gear, it sounds like you might have installed a washer or spacer on to the wrong side of the bearing (like #25), that would then push the pump impeller too deep into the engine.

It should have gone together like this:

SU0234_011.gif

do i just line it up between the "dual gears"(for lack of a better word). its driven by the primary drive and has two gears,paralell, about 4 mm apart,looks to be eshaust valve realated.do i let it hang or put it tooth to tooth. like i said i rode for about 3 minutes and now im thinking when the pump kicked on the teeth missed causing the sound,now im no expert so i dont know if the pump itself is continuous or,used when necessary type thing.