Aprilia RXV 450 vs. KTM EXC 450

So apparently I am anti-Japanese?

I like the CRF450x too, but does anybody know about the Aprilia and the KTM?

Primary purpose is off-road use but also to be street legal in CA. Both seem like really great bikes (depending on which review you read) so do you have experience and/or expertise in this area?

Thanks for your feedback!

SoCal Dave

Riding a bike for 10 mins won't give a solid impression of what it's like to ride/own.

Certainly, but it is a beginning. I did talk with the owner of the bike for a while and I had read his impressions of riding his bike on the same trails I rode on, and then talked to him about how he liked my Husaberg. So, I think I can rely on his feedback.

BTW, I rode the bike for more than 10 minutes, more like about half an hour, but I think I also threw in the caveat that I wanted to ride it on the street, and I also stated that some of the way the bike acted may have been due to the tires which the owner himself said he didn't like. The setup of a bike makes a big difference. I have had time to setup mine to work well on those particular trails. I was running the softest mapping, the bike is geared down, and the tires were aired down to 8 PSI. Those three things alone can make a significant difference.

I also said I was impressed enough to consider buying one - but I needed more time on the bike first.

I don't think it would be as good a trail bike as my Hussy, but with the new bikes having a softer mapping and maybe better tires and some tweaks, it would be a lot better than the one I rode.

I also based a lot of my impression on reading the forum entries on the Aprillia forums - there is a sub-forum just for these bikes. I am personally hoping that overall the newer years have improved quality and less quirks. It sounds like they may. I hope so, like I said, I might like to own one - but I don't think it will replace my Hussy.

Dave, the "real" question is, what kind of rider are you?

They are both great bikes, yet one is more of a high-performance machine than the other. Do you like having more power than you normally need, anytime? Or are you satisfied with "just enough"????

I've riden both, extensively as my buddy owns the KTM and we ride a lot together.

My 2008 RXV550 and his EXC450, 2009. When we are on trails that are super rutty/steep/nasty stuff he beats me up the hills, for a couple of reasons, I have a 30" inseem and the Aprilia is tall! And he has a 33" inseem!

When we are almost anywhere else, I wait for him 100% of the time, or on some fireroads its close.

You will read soo much biased crap here pertaining to the RXV I will not even reply to the many posers that think after 10 minutes they know everything about the RXV450/550:bonk:.

Here are a few points I will make; The Aprilia is a tall, smooth-high horsepower machine, and when "properly" setup for YOUR weight, suspension wise they only shred tires when bozos ride them that way. They are very nice bikes that will last (properly maintained) as long as the KTM, and the aftermarket IMS 20 liter gas tanks for them mount and dis-mount easily

KTM, is a solid reliable machine, more nimble than the Aprilia for short guys like me, great suspension, just like the Aprilia it can be thrown down trails and be picked back up, dusted off and away you go! The KTM has a better dealer base behind the brand, presently, yet more knowledgeable dealers for the Aprilias are finally popping up here on the west coast.

Whichever NEW bike you buy, make sure you buy from a trustworthy dealer, as both bike really need proper "De-Restriction" from the EPA gods, this is soo fricking important!! As we all want our bikes to last a long time without hassles........👍

Codemonkee, I have a 2008 RXV550 that I bought new from Ride Motorsports in Woodinville. They set it up right. Jeremy in service knows how to do it.

They have great deals on the bike. MBevans is right on with his comments - the bike is awesome. 👍

Codemonkee, I have a 2008 RXV550 that I bought new from Ride Motorsports in Woodinville. They set it up right. Jeremy in service knows how to do it.

They have great deals on the bike. MBevans is right on with his comments - the bike is awesome. 👍

Once I find a job I will check them out. I don't want to waste anybody's time until I am actually ready to spend the money.

There were no SXVs and I really want to ride one on the street with street tires to get a feel for how an RXV would do with SM tires/wheels as I want to consider it as a replacement for my Ducati.

I already have a pretty good dirt bike with all the power I need for off-road, I want something light that can do both dirt and street, but is powerful and fast enough for pavement riding.

I haven't been able to find anything about the switching to a milder map. I didn't see it on the bikes I looked at and google doesn't seem to show anything.