Single track whoops

If's it already been posted 100 times, sorry in advance, I never seem to have much luck with the search feature.

My question relates to slower speed whoops that would be seen on single tracks. Pretty much second gear tight stuff (maybe low third gear) where the face of the whoops are pretty steep, deep between and pretty darrn close together so it's hard to get a rhythm going.

How do you guys handle these? Blip the throttle and keep the front end on the tops, roll through them or some other? I've tried them all and feel like I could go a lot faster with the right technique.

I've got the high speed stuff down, the slow speed stuff sems to be eluding me for some reason.

How do you guys handle these? Blip the throttle and keep the front end on the tops, roll through them or some other? .

that's what I do, but I'm not the faster guy in the world, either... I would rather have the front hit the top of every one, than have it tuck in to the whoop, and swap... if it is just a few, like 4 or 5, try to wheelie through the whole group

all the 1 tracks in northeastern mi are full of whooomps some big ones 2 i just power over them skip acrossed the top in third while riding a wheelie ive learned to master these trails systems it really helps out with the technical stuff at the tracks

also what size bike u riding ? i can do this on 125 2-strokes and 250 4-strokes anything bigger it's hard to keep the tires out of them whooomps i get smoked if i take the yz 250 out trail riding can't get it outa 2nd with out hangin it in a tree

PIN IT!!!!!! The deep closley spaced whoops usually happen on trails that get a lot of use by the KTM trail rider type crowd. They make whoops that are different than most bikes. The KTM seems to follow the ground more than our bikes tend to skip across the tops. The faster guys will get the KTM on top I would think. Either way I know what you mean. Maybe its not the bike, maybe its just slower riders not getting on top that make the whoops so deep?

Some of you sure aren't talking about what I think of when it comes to whoops on single-track. Sure if its a nice straight section, and your bike is set up right to track really straight through whoops, then by all means try to stay on top and skip through them. The problem I have with that where I ride is that last whoop before the trail makes that next turn through the trees. If you're going at a good enough pace to stay on top you're going to end up in a tree (guess how I know that?), and slowing down late to make the turn usually drops the front wheel right into the face of that last whoop. I end up just varying the technique depending on the situation, and if that last whoop is right at the turn then I usually slow down soon enough to roll the last one or two.

^^ yup you got it the tight 1 track wooomps yeah you gota time the last mogul just right or miss the corner and end up in a tree i had a pic of my 125 stuck in the top of a jack pine 6ft off the ground !!!

The stuff I'm talking about here is impossible to skip over the tops. This is in tight, twisty second gear stuff for the most part.

The wide open stuff where you can get on the tops in 3rd and 4th gear are not an issue.

I feel the fastest way is to lean back and try to wheelie into it, a little clutch in 2nd gear helps to lighten the front, hold it open and lean back till you can get some air to jump one if they r small enough (if not possible shift into 3rd after after u romp ur front wheel over say the 4th or 5th whoop), then lean back and squeeze with ur legs real hard while u look ahead to where u need to be. Remember all ur drive is from ur rear wheel so dont think about keeping weight on the front wheel.

Things may be different here in the land down under regards single track but heres how I tackle any whoops/ brakeing bumps . You are not able to use this always but you will be faster and for f#$k sake single track is not about following every other idiots line all of the time.

Use the side of the whoops every time you can, even off them completly, where it is flater than in the middle remember you only need a wheel width on the side of them thus flatter surface more traction = faster. When coming to a corner try doing this on the inside of the track then at the last brakeing bump use the outside (move over) top of the hole as a berm stuff the front wheel in move your weight over the front a tad more roll over the bump sit down/stay standing and around the corner you go.

If you are unable to use this and have to go over the whoops lean back select a gear keep the front wheel in the air skimming the top or missing it when you are able look for when you maybe able to double them just lean forward to get the front wheel onto the up ramp and blip the throttle at the top over she goes.

try that and make your improvements on it.

PIN IT!!!!!! The deep closley spaced whoops usually happen on trails that get a lot of use by the KTM trail rider type crowd. They make whoops that are different than most bikes. The KTM seems to follow the ground more than our bikes tend to skip across the tops. The faster guys will get the KTM on top I would think. Either way I know what you mean. Maybe its not the bike, maybe its just slower riders not getting on top that make the whoops so deep?

KTM's make different whoops than other bikes? ๐Ÿ‘ That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the laugh!

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿคฃ:jawdrop:

Some of you sure aren't talking about what I think of when it comes to whoops on single-track. Sure if its a nice straight section, and your bike is set up right to track really straight through whoops, then by all means try to stay on top and skip through them. The problem I have with that where I ride is that last whoop before the trail makes that next turn through the trees. If you're going at a good enough pace to stay on top you're going to end up in a tree (guess how I know that?), and slowing down late to make the turn usually drops the front wheel right into the face of that last whoop. I end up just varying the technique depending on the situation, and if that last whoop is right at the turn then I usually slow down soon enough to roll the last one or two.

๐Ÿ‘:thumbsup:

KTM's make different whoops than other bikes? :cheers: That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the laugh!

:crazy::applause:

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜› I had to laugh at that one too!!!!! Hil-a-rious

But Are you saying there are whoops in Michigan??? Just kidding, I know the exact type you are speaking of since I created many of them on my KTM, so I apologize.

I too get frustrated with those rollers weaving through the woods. My only tactic is to sometimes ride the upper edge or, heaven forbid, ride 6" to the side of the trail. For some reason the Whoops always catch me when I am Whooped and I'm too tired to deal with them.

I do love it when I can envision the tight terrain people reference regarding some Michigan trails or (NJ/PA) and the response is PIN IT!!!๐Ÿ‘

:applause:๐Ÿ˜› I had to laugh at that one too!!!!! Hil-a-rious

But Are you saying there are whoops in Michigan??? Just kidding, I know the exact type you are speaking of since I created many of them on my KTM, so I apologize.

I too get frustrated with those rollers weaving through the woods. My only tactic is to sometimes ride the upper edge or, heaven forbid, ride 6" to the side of the trail. For some reason the Whoops always catch me when I am Whooped and I'm too tired to deal with them.

I do love it when I can envision the tight terrain people reference regarding some Michigan trails or (NJ/PA) and the response is PIN IT!!!๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah, those darn Katoom whoops, they are some doozies ๐Ÿ‘

You Michiganders know what I'm talking about, too tight and slow to get a rhythm and skip across the top but not so slow where all you can do is roll through. Maybe it's been too long of a winter and I just need to get out, ride and work it out๐Ÿคฃ

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜› I had to laugh at that one too!!!!! Hil-a-rious

I do love it when I can envision the tight terrain people reference regarding some Michigan trails or (NJ/PA) and the response is PIN IT!!!๐Ÿ‘

GSP2 The stuff I'm talking about here is impossible to skip over the tops. This is in tight, twisty second gear stuff for the most part.

The wide open stuff where you can get on the tops in 3rd and 4th gear are not an issue.

I think the reason people say to lift the front tire and skip over them (ie, pin it) is b/c whoops are typically formed in spots fast enough to do so, and typically if you can ride just a bit faster than the frequency of the whoops you will indeed pull out on top of them. If you ride too slow and without enough throttle, you will get beat up by them. Give'r.

I could be underestimating how tight the trail is with the whoops. Any chance you could be underestimating how fast some faster riders are negotiating it? I for one have skipped over alot of whoops in 2nd gear.

I can't speak the the wicked KTM whoop. I'll look for them next time I'm out...

i Know what your talking about. i rode the evart single track today and it wrecked me. i have a yz 450 and the only way i could negotiate the bumps was to attempt to wheelie over them and that typically ended in smoking a few trees in the process.

when us Mi people say tight many spots you have to almost stop to get the bars between the trees. Im a big guy and my body hits more trees than the bike all the time dealing with whoops that are over 2' deep.

any other advice would be great for another Mi person