motor swap, now wont start.

hello all-

i have a plated 88 xr 600 and it got stolen. when i got it back it had a blown engine, no seat, and no tank, plus a bunch of other small things.

i bought a 89 xr 600 for cheap cause it didn't have a tile or plates. the 89 rode well and seemed to be in good shape.

i swapped the motors. it all went very smooth. the only funky part is my old stator has three wires coming out of it. the white was connected to 1 yellow on the bike that goes to the rectifier. the black/red goes to a matching black/red. the blue connects to two yellow wires. keep in mind my bike has a baja designs kit where the parts bike does not.

the new motor stator only has two wires coming out of it. how do i make that work? or do i have to swap stators too?

it won't fire up even with starting fluid.

any help would be wonderful!

thanks

birdhouse

brian- thanks. actually did that, and it rides, but makes some funny noises like a cross between a miss and sputtering. i think i may have the decompress lever to tight or too loose.

the bike now has very momentary losses of power while accelerating. any ideas? my older motor didn't even have the decompress lever and was WAY easier to start than my new motor. i think the internal auto decompress might be not working.

birdhouse

the '88-90 should all be the same. funny how the stator was different though. i ended up using my old stator.

i'm running my old carb which is jetted 62, 170. i thought it may be too rich also, but yanked my plug and it is white???

plan on yanking the carb and checking it sometime this week.

thanks!

birdhouse

As I said in your other thread, the 170 main is too big. Unless you ride the bike at WOT all the time, then the white plug is likely caused by a lean idle screw setting, lean pilot jet, or a combination of both. An air leak or clogged carb circuit are other possibilities.