i need a stronger dual sport!

hello everyone, i am a 5' 7" 130 lb (i plan to grow to at least 5' 11" 155) 16 year old who has been riding an xt225 both on and off road for almost a year. i have put around 2-3k road miles and around 200 off road miles on my xt. i am curious about getting a dual sport and i need a bike that is off road capable but is comfortable to ride on road for any distance. just shoot me suggestions and i really do not want anything smaller than 300ccs or larger than 500ccs. And long distance rideability is a must i cannot go on long rides with my dad because the xt is like riding a lawnmower my whole body is shaken numb from cruising at 60-70.

Another vote for the DRZ. It does it all! I've done 1500 mile slab trips, single track, haul-ass desert rides, hill climbs, snow, water crossings, you name it. Great bike! I'm not sure I'll ever be able to part with it!

I have a DRZ and I have a BMW so I may be a little prejudice on hwy duty. I only take the DRZ from one on ramp to the next off ramp. I do not think that slabbing it for a tank on the freeway would be much fun. It will however go plenty fast for the HWY, but it feels best at around 60 MPH.

If I was going for road duty first I would take a good look at the DR650 and KLR650. and keep an eye out for the older BMW F650 bikes.

I use a xr400, but they just are not geared for dual sport use, it's either way too low for highway, or way too high for offroad, take your pick, unless you change out sprockets when you get to the trailhead it kinda sucks. They are also down on power big time, unless you modify them, mine has a 440 kit and pumper carb, that really transforms them, but still does not fix the gearing issue

I thought the DRZ was a fat over weight pig....kind like me...

The KTM 400 or 450/525 or older 520 are good choses. A friend of mine uses a XR400 and it seems to work good for him.

I thought the same thing, but as an owner of a drz I can say it is not that bad. I would say the drz has a advantage over the xr, the drz has dual cams and is liquid cooled.

I have had a lot of bikes. For commuting and getting on the trail, DRZ400 fits perfectly into that slot. Lower rear sprocket a few teeth and she is very highway worthy. My bike is a total urban assualt vehicle...cheap and easy. Good luck.