Sign in to follow this  

Is an 85 enough?

Just wondering if you can help me out here. I have been riding my whole life, dumped the bike to pay for school and now I am CRAVING a bike again. Mind you its only been like a year since I got rid of my last one. I went from a TTR125 to a CR125. I was intimadated at first, but I got used to the bike. Though I do not like the height, and I am not in a position to lower the bike, though I may be able to do some seat modding. Here is my issue. I am looking for a new bike, and I want to get an 85 or 100cc, possibly a 125cc.

The 85cc are cheaper and nicer to come by in my price range ($800-1000) but first of all I am not sure if I need the expert or taller version of the 85. I am 5'3.5" (thank you very much) :applause: and I am not sure if I should go taller or not (Also what bikes are naturally taller in 85cc yz,cr,kx,rm etc...). I sat on a big wheel CRF150R today and my feet just barely scraped the bottom, though on my brothers TTR125L I fit perfect (suspension difference). I dont really care if I am just a tad short its more of what is availble used and what I can find and get by on.

The other thing is if the power is going to be enough to satisfy, going back from a CR125 to an 85. I ride mostly trails, and I am not looking into racing, just going on casual rides and opening up from time to time. The biggest thing is I am going to be teaching my boyfriend how to ride (he has ridden quads his whole life because they were "safer" 🙂) so we as a couple will not be riding that fast at least for a while. He needs a bike too (he is 6' 200lbs I was thinking kdx200/220, wr, or xr type bikes I think a 2stroke might be too intimadating at first.)

So what do you all think? I just want a few opinions on the issue, I am thinking an 85/100 would be enough, but I hate to give up the power because I am vertically challenged, and I figured if anyone knows my pain it would be someone on here. So if you got a bike for sale.....👍🤣

Look around for a KX100.

Most 85's are race oriented. For small people that want to go really fast at full throttle.

An XR250 is a good first bike for your boyfriend. Get a used one in really good shape, he can always sell it for close to the same price later.

I live in Dayton and have an XR250 for sale locally. PM me if interested:thumbsup:

I,am 5'.2, I ride a KTM 105.Lots of power,light.It's a little tall,but i"am going to shave the seat down

I know of a KX100 for sale in Michigan... well maintained bike, set up for an adult close to your size, so the ergos should be spot on for you w/out additional modifications (which can add up). Sounds like you're looking in the right categories though for you both. There are also lots of couples in MI who ride... once y'all get your feet good and wet and are ready, gimme a holler and we can let you in on the group ride info. With any luck, I'll be free most every weekend to ride like I was last fall. 👍

first post here but i have been a lurker for several months now...been riding a crf150f for a few months and just got a kx100! so much fun, lots of power, and super light...especially coming from the 150f. i am 5'4" and around 115 and it pulled me up steep hills and rock climbs with out batting an eye...i added a 10oz fly wheel so the power delivery was gentler since i was used to the tractor like pull of the 150f. it helped alot so you can lug it along (sort of) without a lot of clutch.

i am new to dirt riding...done a lot of mtn biking and i ride intermediate and some advanced groups at the track on a triumph 675 so i am fairly aggressive...feel like this bike will last me awhile (even as i improve) as far as power is concerned and the size feels great! hoping to do a couple hare scrambles in ct/ma area this summer!

Well, a kx100 would be good for you. For your husband, have you considered a Crf250r? I am 5'7, 140ish pounds, and 14, and I just got one. The suspension is real soft for me to touch the ground lol, he would probably fit perfect. It may be a little torquey if he is a first time rider though.

Another vote for a KX100. I'm 5'4", 120. Had a TTR-230, way too heavy. The KX is a hoot. Hubby put a kickstand on it and a 12 oz fly wheel weight last summer. This winter the top end was re-done along with a new FMF pipe with a spark arrester. You will enjoy being able to touch the ground, especially riding trails. For SO, maybe some type of 250 four stroke. Although, being gentle, the KDX 200 would be fine. Same with an older KTM 200, be gentle.

Just bought a KX100 for my boy, I was really impressed, really rocks for short folks. You can really dial it up, with some mods. KDX is really hard to beat for the dude(what I ride), KTM300 for a little more poop. Good luck, have fun, folks that play together, stay toghether.

J.

ok so i have a question for you guys. I have been riding for like a year. Had a 85yz last year and at the end of last season i started riding my boyfriends 125yz. I am only 5'1 and 104lbs. I had to cut the seat and put a lowering link in it. Im getting better and having fun. Its time to get a new bike and i want anohter yz125. He says i still have problems with the clutch, which i do, but its getting better. now if i get a new 125 i dont want a lowering link, but i would have to cut the seat. how do u guys feel about modifying ur bikes, and what do u think?

ok so i have a question for you guys. I have been riding for like a year. Had a 85yz last year and at the end of last season i started riding my boyfriends 125yz. I am only 5'1 and 104lbs. I had to cut the seat and put a lowering link in it. Im getting better and having fun. Its time to get a new bike and i want anohter yz125. He says i still have problems with the clutch, which i do, but its getting better. now if i get a new 125 i dont want a lowering link, but i would have to cut the seat. how do u guys feel about modifying ur bikes, and what do u think?

i say go for it if you felt comfortable...modify away to suit your fit and needs on the bike and if you had problems with the clutch just add a flywheel weight from steahly it will prevent the bike from stalling as much and smooth out the power. best mod ever, and it doesnt sap any of the power!

When you get in a car, do you adjust the seat and mirrors, etc. so you can reach the pedals, steering wheel, see OK, etc? Then why shouldn't you modify a bike so you can reach things comfortably? Make that bike fit you... shaved seat, handlebar choice (cut them down if you want too), pegs, levers... whatever it takes to make the bike easier for you to ride comfortably.

If you're comfortable with the bike and the power... a few mods will make it YOURS. I say GO FOR IT! It's all about what YOU want.

Ct's B/F,

I have no problem shaving down the seat. The big question is what is the best fit? I first started her off on a 85 and she handled it find. Quickly moved up to a 125 She rides it fine with the shaved seat and lowering link but is still struggling with the clutch from a dead stop. And if the bike stalls because of dropping the clutch, it is difficult for her to keep the bike from laying on its side. I was thinking a smaller bike would fit her better and improve the learning curve for her. But she feels that down greading the size of the engine also means she is down greading the bike.

flywheel weight all the way then...should help tremendously wit the clutching issue.

KX 100's are hard to come by. What is the major difference between the 85's and 100's? I would love to get a 125 again, but for the price and the type of riding I will be doing I would rather just wait a few years and go out and get a brand new wr250f then dump all my $ now. I have been finding 03 YZ85's all day for $800-1000. Which is right in my budget. If anyone had one that they want rid of....or a KDX 200/220 in that price range hit me up. I am dying to ride.

I posted an ad on TT's wanted section

https://thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=60794&cat=36

You michiganders may have seen something similar on craigslist. Also my younger brother is looking to buy/trade for an 125. He has an 03 TTR125 that he wants to trade for a 125, if anyone is interested.

Oh and Yama Mama, sorry about the delay...I haven't been able to get on here in a long time, and I would def. love to do some group rides. Keep me in mind, I dunno when I will be able to though!