Ttr-250 hard to start cold

hi all, my bike is very hard to start & keep running cold. Once it warms up it starts instantly. I just thoroughly cleaned the carb & put in a new main jet (137) & a new pilot jet (50) The battery is a bit weak. the only other thing I did this season was put an in line fuel filter. once the bike starts & warms up a bit it runs perfect in every range, idles perfect. My bike is completely stock. is this a battery issue? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My buddy has the same bike and it's completely stock and has the same issue. Very, very cold blooded. You may have to blurp the throttle and get some more gas in there.

Old school method- rock the bike forward a few times and grap the front brake while blurping the throttle. Believe it or not it actually gets some more fuel in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Taking a shot in the dark here: Maybe you got air in your fuel line if you dont already, make sure you turn of the fuel after every ride. Try and work out what level of choke should be on. If your still having trouble just open the throttle half open and kick it repeatedly and as soon as it starts let go fo the throttle or youl blow your motor.

Well if your battery is weak then it will fail soon. so you better get a new one. That wont help your situation either. I bet it has been a pretty cold winter there in PA. That bike is just pissed sitting around all winter, giving you a hard time, you mentioned it runs great after it warms up. These rides are cold blooded. I had a small problem with mine back in Feb. But it only gets down to about 40 C here at night(oh and by the way it is 87 and sunny here in SOCAL, sorry fellas.) Once the weather warms up and your riding more it wont be a problem so dont go modding it out, it will be fine.

I always use the old method of priming the carb with a couple of blurps of gas a few minutes before starting, not flooding, just a couple blurps. Maybe do this a couple times before you start over 5-minutes or so, this will give the motor some fumes to ignite before it hits the liquid. Mine has no kickstart so i know that battery life is a premium on these rides. I hve learned to do this so my "06 TTR 250 starts pretty consistant unless I have bad gas. Make sure your gas is fresh also. And a fresh battery on a tender is crucial. Dont want to be stuck bumping starting 20-30 miles from home or the truck.

• 3 months later...