new DR owner..

Hey again all! So i bought the bike I found on CL for $350... I am trying to get it running and am having a small problem.. I took the tank of earlier and do not know where the extra tube from the petcock goes to? right side of the carb? or to the right side of the gas tank? I thought I took it off the side of the carb??

the problem I am having is that I cannot keep the bike running.. I put some gas in the cylinder and it fired up, but will not keep running..

I opened the carb and cleaned everything out som there are no blockages...

spark is there but is seems that the carb is not doing its job properly>>

any help apreciated... I do have a manual but it seems really rustic...

Welcome!

The hose coming from the rear of the petcock (rear, as in facing the rear of the bike) goes to the carb's fuel inlet tube. The hose attached to the right side of the PETCOCK (right, as in facing the right side of the bike) goes to the carb's top. On the forward-right top of the carb there is a vacuum port nipple.

Also check all air boots to make sure there are no air leaks.

Hope it works out for you!

Edited by DR Da-da
fixed error; changed "carb" to "petcock" - correction in bold italics

ok... so if I do not have the vacume tube hooked up, the slide will not raise? right?

the throttle was erratic and I could not keep it running..

what about the connection on the bottom of the tanki opposite to the petcock? I am missing that hose... anyone have a pic of the tubes going to the carb? I think I am missing more than one..

It won't run right without that vacuum hose going from the petcock to the top of the carb; with that petcock the gas doesn't just flow into the carb like a normal one, it needs that 'other' hose to push the gas down.

You can put on a standard petcock and plug that nipple on the top of the carb to make it standard syle.

ok.. got some pics loaded up..here is the new project..

1992 DR350..

with Manual and Title in hand.. 17,000 miles and a super trapp to boot for $350..

what do you guys think?? I am kinda stoked cause it is 70!!! lb lighter than my last 1992 XT350 project!!!! Thats a crap load of weight to loose!!! cannot wait to get it running good and ride it..

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv357/hollisatp/IMG_3756.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv357/hollisatp/IMG_3758.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv357/hollisatp/IMG_3764.jpg

I also recently found a good deal on CL. So heres my problem, I took the carb apart a million times and cleaned it, couldn't get it figured out so I found a good deal on a carb online, but when it arrived it was a different carb, the only difference is my midel has 2 throtle cables and this one is only set up for one, my main question is can I still run it if I buy a new throttle cable and throttle sleeve that is set up for one throttle cable? any info will help alot! thanks!

That hose coming off the right side of the tank is the 'tank breather hose' (since the tank cap is sealed type or was when the bike was new) this hose goes to the emissions stuff (which you probably don't have...?) Or there might be a nipple for it on the front right of the airbox, I cant remember right now.

You can secure it anywhere though, it's just a breather. Ziptie it to the frame or something.

I see you have a california bike(?), if you do not have the emissions stuff on the bike anymore, there are 2 ports on the carb that need to be capped/plugged. One on the bottom and one on the front. If you DO still have the emissions stuff, take it off or just 'dummy it up' for registration. It just causes problems IMO.

That hose coming off the right side of the tank is the 'tank breather hose' (since the tank cap is sealed type or was when the bike was new) this hose goes to the emissions stuff (which you probably don't have...?) Or there might be a nipple for it on the front right of the airbox, I cant remember right now.

You can secure it anywhere though, it's just a breather. Ziptie it to the frame or something.

I see you have a california bike(?), if you do not have the emissions stuff on the bike anymore, there are 2 ports on the carb that need to be capped/plugged. One on the bottom and one on the front. If you DO still have the emissions stuff, take it off or just 'dummy it up' for registration. It just causes problems IMO.

cool.. thanks..

It won't run right without that vacuum hose going from the petcock to the top of the carb;

I'm guessing you're referring to the DR650 carb?

The DR350 vacuum supply is on the upper right hand side of the carb body, not on the round plastic diaphragm cover.

The nipple on the very top of the DR350 carb (BST33) diaphragm cover produces no vacuum. 👍

ok.. I found it and watched as it allowed the gas to enter the carb.. (mine has a clear filter on it)... New problem though..

1. When I drained the oil from the bottom of the case, it was very thin.. made me think it was trans fluid!

2. Trying to start it for a day and a 1/2, there was gas comming out of the connection from the pipe to the muffler... enough to coat a square foot on the ground.. it would not start...

I did remove the plug a couple of times and added gas straight to the head, but it ran for a minute or so after that..

this seems like excessive flooding... Float bowl not adjusted right???

I have the idle screw turned in abot 3.5 turns ..

I remember reading somewhere on here about the gas getting into the gear case? could this be my problem?? Thanks for all the help... im gonna let it dry out and try later.. guess I could surf for the day...👍

1. When I drained the oil from the bottom of the case, it was very thin.. made me think it was trans fluid!

2. Trying to start it for a day and a 1/2, there was gas comming out of the connection from the pipe to the muffler... enough to coat a square foot on the ground.. it would not start...

Sounds like the typical worn out vacuum petcock.

If you drained more than two quarts theres probably quite a bit of gasoline in the oil (you will probably be able to smell it too).... this is not good.

If the bike still has the original vacuum petcock. Identifiable by 2 hoses on the petcock. One smaller vacuum line coming from the right side of the carb and the larger fuel line that goes to the fuel inlet on the carb.... it most likely has a warn out, dried out diaphragm and must be replaced.

I suggest you get yourself a Yamaha Raptor 660 manual petcock. About $20 and it bolts up perfectly and no more vacuum worries.

so you think this could be flooding out the engine?

I have a xt600 tank which I am going to try today...

yes... definately more than 2 quarts... got me when it came out.. splashed all over the place like water....

so you think this could be flooding out the engine?

Absolutely.
definately more than 2 quarts... got me when it came out.. splashed all over the place like water....

Thats not good at all.

You certainly don't want gasoline diluting your engine oil.

Either install the XT tank (sounds like a lot of work) or replace the stock DR petcock with a Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock.

Just remember to cap off the vacuum port on the carb that went to the stock petcock and you're all set! 👍