Sign in to follow this  

What's the best helmet cam?

Check out the Dog Cam. $1100.00 for the complete set up and if you haul 👍 it shows up perfect. It puts down about 1 gig every 20 minutes in HD. Some of the cheaper cams put out some great film too but you can't beat the Dog Cam Hrq 2.

I've never heard of the dog cam, got a link?

The vholdr HD 1080p will put down more than 1 gig every 20 min, quite a bit more at it's higher setting

most use either the vholdr hd/hd1080p or the gopro hd it depends on how you want to mount the cam, vholdr is more of a lipstick design, the gopro is a small square box

both have advantages and disadvantages, the gopro is hard to use if your deaf like me, because its' hard to tell what it's doing. The vholdr lens is not that great, but the lens twists so you can mount the camera at an angle and just twist the lens. Win some/loose some I guess

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/ The other cameras are catching up with this technology of these but I do not know how close they are.

please be more specific, that site you linked, it sells both the vholdr and gopro 1080p models

are you talking about that old style lipstik camera? That's not even 720p, it's a weird resolution, European tv maybe? it's a tad over SD resolution, and it's got wires and a remote recording device, hello 2005 technology

you dont use one of these for your cell phone do you?

old-cell.jpg

POV1 from VIO is hands down the best, with the most options on lense choice, best HD and up to 8G of record time per SD

the pov1 is not HD, it's only standard def

The Hqr 2 is one of the best that I know of and with the Lance remote that tells you what at the camera is doing with a blinking light.

that one is also wired and it's not even close to HD, it's not even 720p it's standard def. Lots of the old lipstick setups had lanc cables/switches

I had a wired lipstick camera, total pita with the wires, I would never recommend one of those again

I will download a short video of the HQR tonight but it is very high quality film and close to what they use on ESPN. THe lanc remote is wired but it can be seen and accessed easily just sticking out of my camera pack on my waist.

I will download a short video of the HQR tonight but it is very high quality film and close to what they use on ESPN. THe lanc remote is wired but it can be seen and accessed easily just sticking out of my camera pack on my waist.

it's still only SD, no where near these new 1080p cameras, and it records compressed video.

If you use a 560 line sony camera with a dv camcorder (raw no compression) it looks great, but don't try to sell it as HD, because it definitely is no where near HD. I still have my old 560 line setup, nobody wants to buy it, because it's not HD.

How much you looking to spend? I am looking into the GoPro Hero HD and from what I have seen uploaded here and there, the quality is pretty darn good for a system that costs in the mid $200's.

OK, Megadeath it seems that you know a lot about the cameras, I know a little. The HQR 2 is 720 and HD mode is on it. I've found out that the set up on these cameras is critical. I have very smooth video and top quality videos. I knew that the technology was catching up quick but I have my doubts that any of these new ones are as good yet. They all look good at slow speed and on the track but do they look good on the trail hauling 👍 and in and out of different light conditions, because that is what counts for me. Also I have a very wide angle lens and it catches riders way ahead of me.

OK, Megadeath it seems that you know a lot about the cameras, I know a little. The HQR 2 is 720 and HD mode is on it.

the hqr 2 is not 720p, it's SD, it's only 720x576, I use almost the same setup, well I used to anyway.

720p is 1280x720

1080p is 1920x1080

You are saying you have something better. I would like to know more because I would like a camera without wires that will hold 5 to 6 hours of video at a time, and produces a smooth looking film. Every thing I have seen that was new was very choppy on the trail. If you say your set up is better I will buy one. Thanks for the info.

You are saying you have something better. I would like to know more because I would like a camera without wires that will hold 5 to 6 hours of video at a time, and produces a smooth looking film. Every thing I have seen that was new was very choppy on the trail. If you say your set up is better I will buy one. Thanks for the info.

pretty sure I said sd cannot compare to HD

your going to have a hard time finding anything that can record 5-6 hours straight without battery or card replacement, HD video has over twice as much data in it per frame, vs that old SD setup you like, I'm not sure why you say 5-6 hours out of that thing, when their own docs show 2 hours.

choppy video is probably from trying to play it on too slow of a pc, pc's will drop frames if they cant keep up

I can record about 4 to 5 hours and the choppy video is lower quality cameras that do not put down much info and not wide enough lens.I would love to see some uncompressed video of the Vhold. I could mail you a DVD of my films to compare, but if you think that the Vhold is that great I may just buy one for back up of my other camera because some of our rides end up being about 5 hours and the Colo. runs are 7 to 8 hour runs.

I can record about 4 to 5 hours and the choppy video is lower quality cameras that do not put down much info and not wide enough lens.I would love to see some uncompressed video of the Vhold. I could mail you a DVD of my films to compare, but if you think that the Vhold is that great I may just buy one for back up of my other camera because some of our rides end up being about 5 hours and the Colo. runs are 7 to 8 hour runs.

I already have the same type of setup you have, so you don't have to send a dvd, mine records in raw uncompressed format, it'll be better than a mpeg2/4 card setup like the one you linked to

your setup that you linked to, can only do 2 hours at a time due to battery life, it says that right on the website, and you have not explained how you record 4-5 hours on a single data card & battery how big is your card? did you swap out the battery?

it's still only SD, it's simply does not compare to a 1080p setup. both the gopro and the vholdr have wide angle lenses, the vholder has a lens adapter that lets you mount even wider adapters if you want, but it will start to distort and fisheye, the gopro with it's wide setup has some distortion and fish eye too

I have a 16 gig card and an internal Li poly battery and it records for 5 hours. It can take a fat 32 gig too. You must be looking at a different system. This is the HRQ 2 system which is close to the chase cam that Jay Leno uses and sells. It can record 4.5 gig per hour on HD. It also has a sport mode for fast action. That is the reason that I bought it is for the record time and quality. I realized when I bought it that the technology would catch up quick but haven't seen it yet. There were better quality recording systems but not as small as this was.