04 RMZ250 - Grinding noise when I push kickstarter & oil coming out crankcase hose

The bike was running fine. Took a lap down the block to warm up the bike and adjust fuel screw. When I stopped, the bike stalled. I went to kick it and it started making a terrible grinding noise as the kickstarted was pushed down (bike not running). I'm afraid to even push down the kickstarter now. Also, there was oil coming out of the crankcase breather hose, yet my oil level was not too high.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

-Bobby

I had the same grinding noise with the kick starter and found this.

The crankcase vent is in the hole that house's the idler gear shaft. Look for a crack and hope you dont find one.

Crackedcase002.jpg

Edited by resinlips
add pic

So I took off the right side cover and checked the kickstart assembly, looked for cracks on the case, etc. No problems there. I then slowly pushed down the kickstarted with the sides off and everything exposed. Couldn't even hear the sound. Next step was to check my cam chain (it sounded like a chain rubbing when I originally pushed the kickstarter down). The chain is not off the sprockets here, but possibly it could have been off temporarily and somehow went back on? Who knows. I checked valves and I need to adjust them now. With everything apart I'm going to rip the motor down and go through the valves, check seats, etc. Might as well do this while I'm searching for a problem.

It's pretty amazing how many specialized tools are needed for all these jobs.

So I took off the right side cover and checked the kickstart assembly, looked for cracks on the case, etc. No problems there. I then slowly pushed down the kickstarted with the sides off and everything exposed. Couldn't even hear the sound. Next step was to check my cam chain (it sounded like a chain rubbing when I originally pushed the kickstarter down). The chain is not off the sprockets here, but possibly it could have been off temporarily and somehow went back on? Who knows. I checked valves and I need to adjust them now. With everything apart I'm going to rip the motor down and go through the valves, check seats, etc. Might as well do this while I'm searching for a problem.

It's pretty amazing how many specialized tools are needed for all these jobs.

Yeah, tell me about the specialized tools. I think I have enough to run a specialty shop for RMZ 250's. lol