Bad news bears tonight :(

My friend and I had been riding a lot today, went about 150 miles. I ride a 98 KLX300R. We were about 15 miles from home, I was in 6th gear going 60MPH down a dirt road, then all of a sudden I hear a loud explosion/bang come from the motor and the front wheels starts locking up. Some very funky smelling smoke was pouring out of the exhaust for several minutes after I had come to a stop, very whitish colored. The bike will not free roll in neutral, however it will in 1st even without pulling the clutch. The explosion was enough that it knocked some bolts out that hold in the rear fender, and one of the drip lines that runs out of the coolant reservoir 👍

Any ideas what it could be? I dare not try starting it again, and honestly right now I don't have the funds to get it fixed. I can only imagine how much it would cost to repair something like this. The oil was just changed on Friday, as well as the oil filter. I topped off the coolant level on Friday was well. Air filter was a little dirty, but probably wasn't ready to be cleaned for another 4 or 5 hours of ride time. I'm honestly not sure what could have caused it, or what it could be. I'm trying to get a little info before I take it into a service place, as I can just imagine how much they'll charge🤣

Any advice would be very helpful. Need any other info just ask.

I would think think that you're going to have to tear into the bike to see what needs to be replaced. Sounds like your tranny blew and probably other things too. What would that have anything to do with the front wheel locking up though? You have me a little confused on that one......engine and front wheel bearings failed at the same time? Strange for sure.

Yeah, it sounds like you got the impression that your front wheel locked up when it may have been your rear wheel because of a serious snafu in the transmission or engine. The white smoke can also indicate coolant getting into the combustion chamber, not just oil. I don't know...hard to tell from an internet description. You're probably going to have to have it torn down.

OK a little update. I must not have had it all the way into 1st gear last night, as this morning it now free rolls in neutral, and the wheels are locked in 1-6th gear. Also you're right, the rear wheel is the wheel that locked, not the front. And the kick start only goes down about halfway, then it just stops and won't go down any further. It doesn't turn over at all for the part that it goes down.

Man, that sucks 👍:foul: Maybe a valve dropped into the cyclinder:excuseme: But at the speed you were traveling theres got to be damage some where. Does the kick starter go down half way each time you try it? or only once? Is the radiator still full, drain the oil and look for anti-freeze or metal parts / shavings. use a magnet. if no metal, Start at the top end. pull the tank, remove the valve cover, cams, timing chain, tie it up so it doesnt fall inside the case, pull the valve cups and make sure the valves are still there. Good luck

take out the spark plug and tell us what it looks like.

Put it in gear and try to force it to roll BACKWARD to see if the piston is stuck.

If the engine can turn backward slightly you are luckier than if not.

You will have a hell of a time getting the cylinder off if you stuck the piston.

I doubt you have trans issues because you cant kick it over.