Water Pump KLX300

I noticed recently that there's this little hole that's below the water pump on my 07' KLX300R. It's right next to the drainage bolt on the water pump. There has been coolant seeping out of it since I got the bike. It is barely used and in great shape. Anyway, I check the service manual and believe I found out what the hole does. Not sure though because the picture in the service manual is tough to make out. I don't have the manual with me at the moment, but it said something about it being a passage way to see if it's leaking. Obviously it is if their is coolant coming out of it. It says to replace the diaphragm or something like that. I'll check more into it tomorrow to see exactly what it says but I wanted to see if anyone knows about this problem. The coolant level in the bottle that's under the rear fender drops very quickly so I probably couldn't ride a day without filling it a few times.

I searched bike bandit for the diaphragm piece or whatever. From what I believe, it is a rubber seal thing that goes inside the cover. When you see liquid come out that hole, the seal isn't doing it's job. I couldn't find the diaphragm piece online anywhere.

I could be wrong, the service manual is kinda tough to know what it's talking about since I've only had this bike for a few weeks.

That seal is called a mechanical seal and is contained in the right side engine cover. If you have a shop manual it instructs you to replace the whole unit along with the bearing. There's about 4 or 5 parts to this whole setup, and the manual says to replace them all at the same time. I've never had to do one in any of my KLR650's or my KLX250, but apparently they wear together or get distorted during disassembly and reassembly.

The seal is a similar design to most automotive water pumps and A/C compressors. There is a ceramic disc pressed into a rubber seal in the impeller and a spring loaded carbon nose seal, which is sealed to the shaft, that runs against the ceramic face .

The carbon is soft so be careful not to scratch it when you install it or it will leak.

Consider changing the shaft also. It gets a groove worn in it by the oil seal.

Check prices on the TT OEM store. They are way cheaper than BB.

49063 Is the pump seal. It includes all three parts. 92049A Is the oil seal. 92045 is the bearing. The shaft is also the oil pump shaft if you want to replace it.

There's also a small o-ring that seals the shaft to the impeller that would be shown on the water pump screen.

When you have the right engine case off, which I think you have to remove to change the oil seal, check the idler gear for wobble.

Don't forget gaskets unless yours come off in one piece.

I don't think it's a common failure. This is the identical design on a KLR600/650, and they don't go out frequently. What probably hurts them more than anything is setting up for long periods...not the only thing, but not too great for them. The pump is low in the system and debris and deposits can settle there.